over heating

lee boy

Having some big problems with my N reg 300tdi disco. It keeps over heating BIG time, but only if the expantion cap is done up- when left loose it runs fine. The heater doesn't work either just blows cold. I have drained and flushed the whole system, the water runs through fine. I've put in a new thermo stat and temp sensor. All hoses go solid when engine runs, so the water pump is working. I can leave my disco running for hours and it dont over heat but soon as i drive it heats up well quick. Once over heated, I undo the expantion cap and it sounds like a kettle- once the cap is off it has used some water. I have used a sniffer and it dont look like head gasket plus no smoke, no water in oil and no gunk in oil cap. Need some serious help please :lol:

As there is no valve on the heater that can hardly be your problem. The coolant runs through the heater matrix no matter what. The 'heat' setting is an air flap. But you should take off the plug on the thermostat housing (I hope it is not a plastic one, for your sake) and check that there is no air in there.

Sounds either like the head gasket or (worse) a cracked head to me. I hope it is not the second... But that is the only way that the tank will over pressurise and boil in the header tank.

I am glad to see that you have changed the thermostat as running these engines without a stat will cause overheating.

Clutching at straws - the Y piece isn't blocked - that can cause funny symptoms.

The expansion tank caps also stop working which causes the coolant to blow out.

I Had this happen on my 300tdi disco, it was the head gasket, if i was you i would take the head off and have a good look not a long or difficult job to do.

Regards

Keith

I have a mate who had the same problem-He has been running his now for nearly 2 years with the expansion cap loose with out any problems :)

• 3 months later...
Having some big problems with my N reg 300tdi disco. It keeps over heating BIG time, but only if the expantion cap is done up- when left loose it runs fine. The heater doesn't work either just blows cold. I have drained and flushed the whole system, the water runs through fine. I've put in a new thermo stat and temp sensor. All hoses go solid when engine runs, so the water pump is working. I can leave my disco running for hours and it dont over heat but soon as i drive it heats up well quick. Once over heated, I undo the expantion cap and it sounds like a kettle- once the cap is off it has used some water. I have used a sniffer and it dont look like head gasket plus no smoke, no water in oil and no gunk in oil cap. Need some serious help please :lol:

HI,

Just had the same problem as you had. i changed the head gasket anyway, took a while but didn't look like the gasket had gone. when i came to refill the coolant, found that the heater matrix wasn't filling. therefore air-lock, tried filling by the book method but still wouldn't fill, so put hose pipe into the matrix itself and quickly replaced hose onto the head. seems to have sorted problem.

regards guy

Hi,

Yep another person with the same problem. I had the head gasket done and still had overheating as you describe. I changed the rad as it was shot (few fins left) and hey presto no problems since. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hey lee, I have the same problem done both head skim/gaskets and still same result

did you find a resolve

regards Suggsy