Safari rear door Glass replacement

Hello,

As the title says I need to replace the glass in my rear door. Have ordered new glass from Paddocks but wondered if any of you have done it before and can tell me exactly what is involved. It is a 1990 defender 90 no rear wash wipe or heated window.

Thank you

Undo all the glass retaining strip screws on the inside of the door, remove strips, remove glass, clean out old sealant. To replace run a good size bead of sealant around the door frame where the glass fits, locate glass, run another bead of sealant around the inside of the glass where the retaining strips fit, replace retaining strips and screws, clean off surplus sealant - job done :)

Thank you very much for that.......sounds easy enough but knowing my 90 it will have some surprise up its sleeve for me.

Btw.

Hello to everyone, I am new on this forum. I have to say it is great to get an informative reply so fast, unlike some other forums I belong to.

Thanks once again MoG.

Philip4x4

I used normal silicone on mine. I wouldn't like to have to get it out again but then I shouldn't have to unless it broken and then it won't matter, will it ? :)

Mo

BTW welcome to the top forum, Philip and Marco :)

I have used silicone on winscreens in the past, on my series, but I wuld have thought the ideal would be something like sikaflex windscreen sealent. I am afraid I don't know where to get it from - the last time I aquired some I asked a windscreen fitting place where to get it, and they very kindly gave me a tube! might be worth a try... ;)

Cheers

Mark

Hello again,

Glass arrived from Paddocks in the UK today (2 days delivery to France) took me 10 mins to remove old glass, used marine silicone sealant new glass in and sorted inside 30 mins. Thank you for your help...the hardest part was cleaning the silicone off the glass.

Regards

Philip