Does this look right?

bishbosh

Decided to bide my time on the axle upgrade front and just replace the dodgy CV whilst I ponder portals and 97 inch tyres. :P

Bought one from Brookwells - great service and fair pricing.

Opened the parcel this morning to find this:

post-121-1180008941_thumb.jpgpost-121-1180008947_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the carp pictures - phone camera and I don't want to open the packaging if I am going to send it back.

It looks like the cage has been machined out to form the recesses for the ball bearings and has got hot - i.e. insufficient lubrication :ph34r: during the process. (Andy M, calm down!! :lol: )

To me this doesn't look too clever and must have had some metalurgical effect on the steel.

What does the panel think? Do I keep it or send it back?

Bish,

I have no idea what the affects of the blue-ing are on the metal, but I'd guess that some sort of molecular re-arrangement goes on when things get over hot. But to be honest, all the CV joints we sell at you-know-where come from either Britpart or Allmakes and they all have this blue-ing around the bearings.

D :)

Cheers Dan!

It's funny, but I nearly called you to order a CV but didn't know which days you worked there so went to my "local" place instead.

Feel a bit guilty now.... :(

LOL... no worries, I will relieve you of your guilt by allowing you to supply me with lots of beer on the Shire club stand at Eastnor!! :lol:

Decided to bide my time on the axle upgrade front and just replace the dodgy CV whilst I ponder portals and 97 inch tyres. :P

Bought one from Brookwells - great service and fair pricing.

Opened the parcel this morning to find this:

post-121-1180008941_thumb.jpgpost-121-1180008947_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the carp pictures - phone camera and I don't want to open the packaging if I am going to send it back.

It looks like the cage has been machined out to form the recesses for the ball bearings and has got hot - i.e. insufficient lubrication :ph34r: during the process. (Andy M, calm down!! :lol: )

To me this doesn't look too clever and must have had some metalurgical effect on the steel.

What does the panel think? Do I keep it or send it back?

this is quite normal,

the marking is caused when the inner tracks are induction hardened,