td5 or 2.8TGV and LT77?

Steve 90

Now come on Steve, play fair :rtfm: - you're not allowed to mock the afflicted - Dave's got a beard and Will...... well, err... he's just Will :lol::lol::ph34r: !!

Hahaha my spelling strikes again! I blame spending too much time around the Reads

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dig up an oldish post I'm new here. Has anyone running a 2.8TGV used a gearbox other than a Landrover one? As the Landrover boxes don't seem to be upto the job. I looked into this engine for my camper and would definitely have used a different box with it. Advance Adapter in the US make an adapter for it to bolt up any box that was bolted up to a Chevy engine so boxes such as TH400 or the 4L80E or even the manual NV4500. Marks adapters in OZ makes adapters to mate the autos to a LT230 and a NV4500 can be fit if a TH400 adapter is modified. Or you could just stick a yank tcase on that was fit originally. Sorry to bring this up if similar threads have been posted before I joined.

Gaza

I can't see the point of fitting a 2.8TGV to a non-LR box when you could buy an LS1 and bolt it to a non-lr box, have much more power and similar MPG. If you're swapping transmissions then there are so many better, cheaper, and easier to look after engines out there - the world is your lobster ;)

The only reason to buy a TGV as far as I can see is that you want more power, diesel, and to keep LR transmission however unwise that may be.

I remember an article about someone making a 2.8L Td5.

i also remember that it ate the drivetrain for breakfast, lunch and dinner

as well as the occaisonal snack.

I think he made halfshafts out of some exotic metal that cost £1500

and another £1500 to machine, but they didn't break anymore. :D

Guest diesel_jim
I remember an article about someone making a 2.8L Td5.

i also remember that it ate the drivetrain for breakfast, lunch and dinner

as well as the occaisonal snack.

I think he made halfshafts out of some exotic metal that cost £1500

and another £1500 to machine, but they didn't break anymore. :D

That'll be Lara, he usually resides on the devon4x4 site.

I can't see the point of fitting a 2.8TGV to a non-LR box when you could buy an LS1 and bolt it to a non-lr box, have much more power and similar MPG. If you're swapping transmissions then there are so many better, cheaper, and easier to look after engines out there - the world is your lobster ;)

The only reason to buy a TGV as far as I can see is that you want more power, diesel, and to keep LR transmission however unwise that may be.

Have to agree, if your building a one off then LS1 more power out of the box, for not a lot of dollar!