Timing belt kit

spud murphy

STC4096L was the kit I got. All though I think I actually got it from Craddocks not Paddocks :unsure: .

Click Here :)

Was well worth it as when I got the front of the engine apart I found that the belt was rubbing on the inside of the front cover and had reduced it's width by about 4mm (compared to the dayco replacement) and filled the cover with rubber dust in the less than 18 months (less than 10,000miles) that I have owned the vehicle, I got the belt changed buy the seller before I bought it. The original crank pulley had no guides for the belt and had allowed it to run forward into the case, the new (cast) pulley has two guides that keep the belt in the correct position.

Pete.

On yours, the idler or tensioner should have had guide lips on the edge though. If none of the pulleys had lips on then whoever last changed the belt with the previous owner is a tit and put it back together with the wrong combination of bits!!!

On yours, the idler or tensioner should have had guide lips on the edge though. If none of the pulleys had lips on then whoever last changed the belt with the previous owner is a tit and put it back together with the wrong combination of bits!!!

The tensioner did have a lip on, however the bearings were pretty much shot so I think this had allowed the belt to move as well.

I think that the person who changed the belt did it on the cheap coz I can only find a reciept for a belt and nothing else plus they weren't all that competant as they had also managed to get the pump timing out by 1 tooth :angry: so I suspect that they didn't lock it.

Pete.

Get a quote from a Land Rover Dealer before you order the bits... I seem to remember that the STC4096L (I think) was a lot cheaper direct from Land Rover than any of the other suppliers!!

I was quite suprised when I found out..

Ian

We were told by LR that they wouldn't supply them any more a couple of years ago and had to order all the bits individually which came to about £400 for the big kit IIRC - the Bearmach kit is a fraction of the cost. So unless LR have re-introduced the kit as a genuine part (probably not as the "official line" is that all affected vehicles will have been covered by now) I doubt you will find one anywhere.

Cheers chaps

Looking at the above posts I'm a little confused as to wheather the idle and tension roller should have rims on as well as the crank cog, should I be asking if this is so or are are they all like that now??, as they look smooth sided in any of the online pics I've seen.

Les, would you have the seal part numbers available so I can track these down??

Cheers again, John

300TDi Disco crankshaft oil seal is part number ERR4575

300TDi Disco timing cover seal is part number ERR4576

There's also an O-ring behing the crankshaft timing belt sprocket. Some people recommend changing this at the same time.

Part number for this is ERR4710

No doubt Ralph will flame me if this is wrong :o

Les.

STC4096L = £98.35 + vat from my local Land Rover Dealer (need to order it in though - 2 days)... has gone up a bit in price then, as the last one I bought was only £60 or there abouts.

Ian