Fitting PAS steering box

I'm about to replace my 4 bolt PAS steering box....

Driving to work this morning I had a thought... Only the one, I have to confess.....

Do I have to identify the centre position of the PAS box or is it designed that it will just continue turning no matter how many times I turn it ? (i.e. just bolt it on, fix the drop arm, run some fluid through etc. and call it jobbed...)

Was sort of worried when I had that thought and would really like to know the answers before I clamber under the car and start un-bolting things....

Thanks in advance...

Neil

From my RAVE info to centralise the steering box do this -------------

1 -- disconnect the drag link from the drop arm

2 -- turn steering wheel to full LEFT lock

3 -- turn steering wheel back exactly 2 FULL turns

4 -- reconnect drag link to drop arm.

The droparm will only fit on the output splined shaft from the steering box in one position - one of the splines is much thicker than the rest and acts as a keyway -

Fit the steering box, leave the steering column disconnected, fit the drop arm and connect it to the drag link, then refit the steering column with the steering wheel correctly aligned. That's the way I've done it on at least three vehicles with no probs whatsoever.

Matt

Thanks for your help peeps...

Didn't click that the limiit of travel was very limited at the front until Les helped me out on MSN... Thanks Les....

Was too late to get started tonight when we eventually got round to it so we surveyed the job with coffee in hand and plan to do it tomorrow....

Will keep you informed.

Neil

The droparm will only fit on the output splined shaft from the steering box in one position - one of the splines is much thicker than the rest and acts as a keyway -

Fit the steering box, leave the steering column disconnected, fit the drop arm and connect it to the drag link, then refit the steering column with the steering wheel correctly aligned. That's the way I've done it on at least three vehicles with no probs whatsoever.

Matt

The drop arm will go on the wrong way too

I've watched it happen after the trauma of getting the old one off the new one was put on completely the wrong way around.

Neil the box only turns so far in each direction so be sure to get the straight ahead position when fitting,

Also if you can remove the radiator it make the job so much easier as there is far more room to work/support the box.

We had a crack at this on Thursday night...

Removal was messy.. Lots of fluid to contend with.

If you are doing this on a V8 you have two options for removal.. Either remove oil filter to drop out from below or remove the alternator and lift from above. I believe from discussion with Les that Diseasels have all the clearance you will need.

We opted for alternator as it was not filled with oil....

We checked we were in the middle of the PAS box steering range by connecting steering column without bolts and swinging from lock to lock.. Just short of 4 complete turns. New drop arm used.

Steering wheel still ouf of line at present but net result was tighter "accurate" steering.

Steering still a little tighter then I remember, and not self centreing totally but that me be a result of most things being new now.

Going to see how tight the N/S swivel ball is in case the garage that did the radius arms set it too tight..

Otherwise, it's very safe to drive again and feels great again.

Neil

If you are doing this on a V8 you have two options for removal.. Either remove oil filter to drop out from below or remove the alternator and lift from above. I believe from discussion with Les that Diseasels have all the clearance you will need.

We opted for alternator as it was not filled with oil....

check your rad nex if you think its full of oil :ph34r: