cam belt change

pinny

hello after prodding about in cambelt inspection hole ive pulled out pieces of rubber oviously this isnt good does it mean urgent replacement of belt never changed one on a 300tdi 1996 is this an easy job haynes manual makes it look technical also should i replace it as a whole kit thoughts please

It means the cam belt is misaligned and chafing on the pulleys as per the "infamous problem"

how urgent it is depends on how much wear there is on the belt it could have just started or be just about to go ping

you can fit a new belt as a temporary measure to buy some time but a better bet is to fit the relevant modification kit - there are two sorts according to vin number - I am pretty sure all the details are in the LR4x4 tech archive forum if you look in there

Pinny,

I would definately want to have a look inside the timing cover properly and as you have then done a large part of the job you might as well change the belt and the crankshaft seal whilst you have the cover off. Les's Thread helped me alot when I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I got a kit from craddocks (p/n STC4096L) which had everything you need to replace except for the crankshaft seal and the timing cover dust seal. 300TDi Disco crankshaft oil seal is part number ERR4575, 300TDi Disco timing cover seal is part number ERR4576.

Mine which is also a 1996 had the cambelt rubbing on the inside of the timing cover as the updated bits supplied in the kit had not been fitted.

HTH

Pete.

Pinny,

I would definately want to have a look inside the timing cover properly and as you have then done a large part of the job you might as well change the belt and the crankshaft seal whilst you have the cover off. Les's Thread helped me alot when I did mine a couple of weeks ago. I got a kit from craddocks (p/n STC4096L) which had everything you need to replace except for the crankshaft seal and the timing cover dust seal. 300TDi Disco crankshaft oil seal is part number ERR4575, 300TDi Disco timing cover seal is part number ERR4576.

Mine which is also a 1996 had the cambelt rubbing on the inside of the timing cover as the updated bits supplied in the kit had not been fitted.

HTH

Pete.

thanks for reply i wish i had of looked monday kit would of been here now ill try the local parts shops here in colchester hopefully somewhere local will have pieces we do have a lr dealer lookers ill also try them cheers chris

Beaten to it by Bogmonster. :angry:

Pete.

Greased lightnin' :lol:

I meant to say (as you did) that to check it, you need to take the timing cover off, and once you get that far in it is a waste of time putting it back together again without fixing it!

IMHO it is also a waste of time just putting a belt on and it might as well be done properly.

Bearmach is a good place to buy the mod kits, others may do them as well.

Greased lightnin' :lol:

I meant to say (as you did) that to check it, you need to take the timing cover off, and once you get that far in it is a waste of time putting it back together again without fixing it!

IMHO it is also a waste of time just putting a belt on and it might as well be done properly.

Bearmach is a good place to buy the mod kits, others may do them as well.

cheers bm there wasnt loads of rubber had a good prod around ill try the local lr dealer lookers down here or rst landrovers down on mersea island hopefully it will last a couple more days failing local dealers illtry bearmach or craddocks as ive never done it before how long would you think it would take hopefully ill try it monday evening after work cheers chris

I think in the good old days when Land Rover used to pay for it the warranty repair time was about six hours for the big kit, the little kit is no more than changing the belt really. Probably double it if you've not done one before and are being careful, so a good day's work for most people, certainly not an evening job unless you only need the little kit and don't mind a long evening!

You normally get a hell of a lot of spinach out of the hole before it does go ping, the belt will wear down to about 2/3 its normal width before snapping and that produces a lot of fluff.

I think in the good old days when Land Rover used to pay for it the warranty repair time was about six hours for the big kit, the little kit is no more than changing the belt really. Probably double it if you've not done one before and are being careful, so a good day's work for most people, certainly not an evening job unless you only need the little kit and don't mind a long evening!

You normally get a hell of a lot of spinach out of the hole before it does go ping, the belt will wear down to about 2/3 its normal width before snapping and that produces a lot of fluff.

thanks ill try rst tomorrow and hopefully sat afternoon not many dealers down here in colchester many thanks for quick reply

The thing that is most likely to slow you down is if the crank pulley wheel and timing belt sprocket are stuck. There's a very simple extractor that can be made from a thick bar of metal and 2 x M8 coarse thread bolts.

Les.

Was definately the worst bit of doing the job on mine, but having made a puller like Les's helped loads.

Pete,

The thing that is most likely to slow you down is if the crank pulley wheel and timing belt sprocket are stuck. There's a very simple extractor that can be made from a thick bar of metal and 2 x M8 coarse thread bolts.

Les.

thanks for that les ill make a puller sat ready for sunday at least ill have all day cheers chris

You need a thick flat bar and drill two holes in it 75mm apart that an M8 bolt will slide through. The threads in the crankshaft pulley are M8 coarse thread. If you have a thread tap of that size, then run it through the pulley threads first to clean them up. If the bolts go through too far they will push the dust cover off as the pulley gets further off the crank nose. You can tap the cover back on again afterwards if necessary, or alternatively use shorter bolts as you progress.

Les.

thanks everyone i could only get a belt this weekend but took it all apart existing belt was quarter eaten it still has original tensioner lip on each side and no lips on any other pulley as les said hardest was getting pulley off i know ive got to take it apart again to replace idlers etc but its put mind at rest knowing that a new belt has been fitted the belt has lasted 9 months ill make a couple of calls tomorrow for pieces thanks guys

replaced crankshaft sprocket and idlers new belt etc since last saturday when replaced belt only it had chewed about 3mm off new belt done about 150 miles only hopefully after fitting new kit it will be ok managed to tighten crankshaft pulley with 4 pound hammer and 27mm ring spanner thanks for all your help chris

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget to tighten the pulley bolt up to 80Nm + 90 deg :o

Without the special tool you won't manage it. Sell it quickly before the pulley falls off and wrecks the crankshaft.

Hi Jim.

Can you tell me what you mean by the special tool, I'm planning on replacing my cambelt as a service item pretty soon. I've done a few over the years but not on a landy.

Stu.