roofracks

siggy

I wanna learn to weld (probably night school) and I thought I may have a go at making a roofrack

Is this a good idea?any potential pitfalls? how hard is it?

I quite like the def110 G4 one and I may copy it but not close to cause problems?

I wanna learn to weld (probably night school) and I thought I may have a go at making a roofrack

Is this a good idea?any potential pitfalls? how hard is it?

I quite like the def110 G4 one and I may copy it but not close to cause problems?

I've not done a roof-rack, but having done a cage, I have to say working with tube is pretty tricky. Getting the fillets/coping nice and snug so it welds easy can be time-consuming.

Also welding tube is much more difficult than box, because of the arcs you need to move in.

Also you are going to be working in something like 1 - 1.5mm tube I assume, which is pretty skinny for a first-time welder.

If you fancy doing it in box section - a lot easier.

You could make a flat rack in box and then add tubular uprights and frame for better looks IMHO.

was thinking of copying the style of the g4 one probably in boxsection

just had a thought if I was to do it in sections I could weld solid box it the ends in use it to connect the sections like this

scan0001.jpg

and the bolt through to hold together

how strong would it be? The idea is that it is only for occasion use and can be removed easily for storage?

[Rolf Harris] can ya gess wor it is yet!![/Rolf Harris]

Oh my God, even worse - I know the answer. It was Tony Hart....he designed the Blue Peter logo, hosted Morph; drew Les Henson [below] listening to Bucks Fizz singing their Eurovision Song Contest winner, the skirt-rippingly awful 'Making Your Mind Up'.

chasmusic5cz.gif

Anyone want to buy a Blue Peter badge?

Neil

PS [Mandi far too young to know what I'm talking about].

and the bolt through to hold together; how strong would it be? The idea is that it is only for occasion use and can be removed easily for storage?

Siggy, I'd be tempted to go for a long connecting piece and use two bolts, one horizontal and one vertical. Rigidity will come from closeness of fit of the male and female connections. Have you rejected welding up a Patriot type rack in aluminium? Big benefits in weight and, for the longer term, corrosion. For flexibility you could have bolt on tiers to raise wall height.

Neil

Siggy. Will, Andy,et all, for joining tubing of various diameters at various angles there is a handy little utility called tubemiter. Do a serch for it on google, or drop me a PM with your email & I'll send you a copy. You put in the diameter of the tube you're joining & the diameter of the tube you're joining to & the angle at which you want to join them & it will print you out a pattern which you then cut out & draw around to give an accurate shape to grind & file the end of you tube to. This is much beloved by cycle builders & space frame chassis builders but just as applicable to roll cages & roof racks etc.

HTH Cheers, Steve.