Vague Low Ratio

Hi All,

I have a possible problem with selecting low range on my '88 110 CSW. It has been fitted with a 200TDi engine by a previous owner if that is of any bearing.

Tried to put it in low range for the first time today and at first the box felt like there was nothing much attached to the end of the shifter. After a bit of feeling around it seemed to stiffen up and I could select low, drove for a short while to check all was ok. Put it back in high and then tried to reselect low.. once again its like porridge and it doesn't seem to matter what way you wiggle the shifter, theres nothing much happening and it's always in high.

Has me well and truly confused unless it's worn or I'm doing something wrong? :blink:

Sounds to me as if the Hi-Lo linkage is a bit loose - same thing happened with mine.

You can access it easily from the top if you remove the transmission tunnel cover (about 10 self tappers) - if you've got a workshop manual you'll see how the linkage is setup.

Matt

Sounds to me as if the Hi-Lo linkage is a bit loose - same thing happened with mine.

You can access it easily from the top if you remove the transmission tunnel cover (about 10 self tappers) - if you've got a workshop manual you'll see how the linkage is setup.

Matt

Great stuff, I've got a Haynes so I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks! ^_^

You can also get it from the bottom without removing the cover, there is a U shaped bracket with a nut either side, its a bit hard to reach but not to much of a problem if you look up from underneath, about where the drivers seat is, if that makes any sense. One of the nuts might have come loose.

I just re-read that and it does`nt make a lot of sense, but at least I know what I`m talking about. :P

Great stuff, I've got a Haynes so I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks! ^_^

If its not been used much the linkage can get really stiff (accept for the free play wobbly bit which makes you think its broken) and give similar symptoms. Other than maybe taking up the drivers floor panel so you can see it all there's nothing to take apart, just clean the muck away from the linkage and give it a good lube.

Your problem sounds as described by others.............. something in the external linkage but (and one lousy picture is worth 500 words :) and i say but.......for anyone out there with a stiff linkage look to the cross shaft #24 in the image and the bearing #18.....they are prone to seizing from lack of use, you must remove the fitting from the top of the case and lube the bee gee zus out of it, working it all the while..

CrossShaft.jpg

ok just had a look at the linkage and the yoke has snapped! perhaps it happened yesterday though it feels at the moment like it did yesterday before i managed to get low ratio selected.

i only have a haynes to work from and it isnt very descriptive. the bit the yoke attaches to doesnt seem to move at all, is it meant to or does it simply act as a fixed point and all the movement takes place up the other end of the connecting shaft?

can i simply weld the yoke back together as a temporary fix?

note to self.. just because something works once dont assume its not broken.. :(

ok just had a look at the linkage and the yoke has snapped! perhaps it happened yesterday though it feels at the moment like it did yesterday before i managed to get low ratio selected.

i only have a haynes to work from and it isnt very descriptive. the bit the yoke attaches to doesnt seem to move at all, is it meant to or does it simply act as a fixed point and all the movement takes place up the other end of the connecting shaft?

can i simply weld the yoke back together as a temporary fix?

note to self.. just because something works once dont assume its not broken.. :(

Is this the vertical piece about 5ins long? If so yes but I thought it was ali so beyond my welding skills. Just make sure the lower attachment is freed up before you refit it though as that's probably why it got snapped.

For anyone else who has this problem.. you can, with much difficulty (and a little assistance from a friend on the Nissan 200sx owners club!), weld the yoke back together if need be. The transfer box crank it attaches to was well and truly seized which probably caused the damage. Loosened the box up, welded the yoke back together.. it'll get me through a day's offroading tomorrow hopefully and last until Monday for a new part! :)

Exactly the same happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was told that the part was a 'dealer only' part, and so expected the worst. Went in, and ordered the yoke, at a total cost of £3 ish. Bit of a bugger to change, as access is so limited. In the end, I took off the transmission tunnel to get to it properly. Not a big job, just lots of screws to undo.