Question: Discovery drop arm

Brett

Yes

There are two 300Tdi Discovery drop arms. One like you have on your Defender that takes the drop arm ball joint kit at about 20 quid a time and good fun to change.

Then there is the later Discovery type that takes a normal track rod end. TRE's are about a fiver I believe.

I know which I'd sooner change.

The down sides are. You have to buy or make a bracket for the steering damper to fit the drag link because you will also require the Discovery drag link. Unless somebody knows differently.

I'm also informed but not sure. That the Discovery steering box is higher geared giving less turns lock to lock.

mike

Are all landrover drop arms the same length?

I have a six bolt steering box which limits my steering lock,so would like a longer drop arm for tighter turning circle.

Anyone know of custom made drop arms?

Sorry for hijack.

Yes

There are two 300Tdi Discovery drop arms. One like you have on your Defender that takes the drop arm ball joint kit at about 20 quid a time and good fun to change.

Then there is the later Discovery type that takes a normal track rod end. TRE's are about a fiver I believe.

I know which I'd sooner change.

The down sides are. You have to buy or make a bracket for the steering damper to fit the drag link because you will also require the Discovery drag link. Unless somebody knows differently.

I'm also informed but not sure. That the Discovery steering box is higher geared giving less turns lock to lock.

mike

Thankyou Mike

I'll have a look into that.

Please let me know how you get on because that is all hearsay.

I keep missing a Discovery drop arm. One day I'll be in the right place at the right time.

mike

My steering box is leaking, so now is probably as good a time :rolleyes:

just as soon as I've done all the other jobs :lol:

This is a mod I did a while back.

Mainly because the used disco steering boxes are a lot newer than Defender and RR ones and you have a better chance of finding one not worn out.

They are the same length as a Defender / RR arm so I would guess they are all the same length.

You need to replace the steering drag link because you no longer use the the swan neck thing that the damper attaches to. The simplest option I found was to buy a drag link from QT with one of their clamp-on steering damper brackets. They sell a drag link exactly the right length - possibly intended for a series?

Once you have the box / arm it gives you a one-stop-shop for getting it fitted. Talk to Dave Marsh - he knows what I'm on about!

The TRE's last much longer than the drop arm ball joint and they are easy to replace. I would generally avoid the patterned £5 TRE's though - you'll spend your life replacing them. Genuine or OEM ones cost more but last so much longer they are very good value.

Si

This is a mod I did a while back.

Mainly because the used disco steering boxes are a lot newer than Defender and RR ones and you have a better chance of finding one not worn out.

They are the same length as a Defender / RR arm so I would guess they are all the same length.

You need to replace the steering drag link because you no longer use the the swan neck thing that the damper attaches to. The simplest option I found was to buy a drag link from QT with one of their clamp-on steering damper brackets. They sell a drag link exactly the right length - possibly intended for a series?

Once you have the box / arm it gives you a one-stop-shop for getting it fitted. Talk to Dave Marsh - he knows what I'm on about!

The TRE's last much longer than the drop arm ball joint and they are easy to replace. I would generally avoid the patterned £5 TRE's though - you'll spend your life replacing them. Genuine or OEM ones cost more but last so much longer they are very good value.

Si

Cheers Simon :)