tapered roller bearings

pinny

unless im thick why have tapered roller bearings that are not adjustable 300tdi n plate disco can thay be made adjustable or do you throw away and replace with new your views please sorry front wheel bearings

unless im thick why have tapered roller bearings that are not adjustable 300tdi n plate disco can thay be made adjustable or do you throw away and replace with new your views please sorry front wheel bearings

Front wheel bearings on a Discovery of that age (1996?) should be adjustable! Can you post a photo of what you are looking at so we can see...

Series 2 Discovery bearings aren't, they are a sealed unit, but rarely have problems anyway.

Maybe someone (some idiot I mean) has replaced the two nuts and lockwasher with the Defender TD5 setup with a spacer and one nut. Sounds silly because we ALWAYS retrofit the old system to any Defender that comes in with those stupid nuts.

Apparently some newer LT230s have a similar system where the crushable spacer has been replaced with a solid spacer available in various sizes. Bl00dy stupid if you ask me. And again, we retrofit the original system.

will take photo soon it has a plastic cap large circlip once you remove this you have a large nut and lock washer followed by another nut and a spacer washer apparently you can get difference thickness washers ive always been used to a castle nut and split pin etc the reason ive got to look at it is advisory from mot slight play in both sides in haynes manual this is the later version with apparently only adjustment is from these washers different thickness help

Sounds like a bodge up of half Td5 and half old sort then! I should look in a parts manual and fit the parts for the older type which would be correct for the vehicle, you can then adjust it as you wish.

"large nut and lock washer followed by another nut and a spacer washer"

This sounds like the old arrangement. There are no other spacer washers for this. Do the thing up, let it off a tad and then bang over the lock washer. In theory you should use a new lock washer every time. TADA!!. If you can't feel the correct play on the bearings then get someone who knows to do it for you. Should be .04mm on a TDI if you have one.

There are no other spacer washers for this.

Just a query. I have seen different spacer washers between 200 and 300Tdi axles. (10 and 24 spline)

It appeared to me that the spacer washer was thicker on the 200Tdi. The hub flange was deeper and the stub axle longer also.

Stu.