racal 543 ATU wiring

dasterdly

hello,

i wish to power up my Racal 543 ATU, however it takes its supply from a 24volt radio, but my defender is a 12 volt system,as is my radio..any body got any wiring diagrams/pinouts etc or workable solutions for these ATU's.

Cheers...

Guest diesel_jim
hello,

i wish to power up my Racal 543 ATU, however it takes its supply from a 24volt radio, but my defender is a 12 volt system,as is my radio..any body got any wiring diagrams/pinouts etc or workable solutions for these ATU's.

Cheers...

Any military radio kit is 24v, so i think you'll need that to make it run.

Whats your reason to power it up? As Diesel Jim says you're a bit knackered without the FFR set up.

hello,

..to see if it works :D

I would assume that they can be tested on the bench etc without being connected to a full radio setup and thought there maybe a way to provide 24v supply, using either two 12v batteries or a converter etc.

the hunt for a solution goes on :P

cheers...

hello,

..to see if it works :D

I would assume that they can be tested on the bench etc without being connected to a full radio setup and thought there maybe a way to provide 24v supply, using either two 12v batteries or a converter etc.

the hunt for a solution goes on :P

cheers...

In that case just use 2 batteries. Mate runs his 101 radios off the mains at shows using a 240/24V power supply.

In that case just use 2 batteries. Mate runs his 101 radios off the mains at shows using a 240/24V power supply.

hello,

providing the voltage isnt a problem, however as i dont have the lead to connect the ATU to a power supply, i still need the pinouts to power the ATU up ( so i dont fry any circuits :o )

anybody got a power lead or can confirm which pinouts do what ?

cheers...

• 1 month later...

Have two batteries, charge them in parallel, and draw for the radio off them in series.....

12V in, 24V out.... althought you will probably need to upgrade your 12V alternator -this is if you want to run them int eh truck of course!

If you just want to run them on a bench then 2x12V batteries in series is fine.