X-Springs on a 110

leeds

Bought a set of X-springs for the rear of my 110 overland vehicle at Donnington.

Come to fit them and the turret diameter of the X-Spring is too small for 110 rear springs. Dohhhh

A quick phone call to Si and he confirmed that they will only fit the smaller diameter 90 springs. Hmmmm!

He mentioned that someone in France had welded a ring onto the turret to make it fit.

So talked around with several people and decided that the best solution was to remove bottom of the turret and weld on a 110 bottom spring mounting plate with the centre removed.

Need to ensure that the welds are neatly ground off and all weld spatter removed so that the X-spring can not catch on the inside off the modified turret.

Also need to make a spring retaining bar from something like 1/2" by 1/8" plate bent through a right angle to assist with wheel changes.

Job is a good one.

Now need to test the new spring set up in the real world. So X-springs will fit a 110!

Regards

Leeds

If your welding is good - it will be fine. The reason they are pressed rather than fabricated was to avoid welds. My experience was that the material either side of the weld was prone to fatigue.

The chap in France IIRC just made another top-hat which fitted over the first one. This may have been tacked in place. It was made with a big enough ID to hold the outer spring central.

I've had a communication from someone else who used a piece of HDPE water pipe which he turned down into a top-hat style spacer that is a snug fit over the X top hat and tight on the inside of the 110 spring with a shoulder at the bottom for the 110 spring to sit on.

If I can source suitable pipe, that's the route I intend going down for 110 fitment. It would also lend itself to being used as a spring spacer for 90/110's to give your springs a lift in 1" increments.

One or two people have commented that the springs are a bit noisy as they slide in and out of the top-hat and in one case that they vibrate against the inside of the top-hat while driving on the road.

I have a nice easy solution to that which will be supplied with all new springs, but available for free to anyone who needs it from Billing onwards.

Si

Bought a set of X-springs for the rear of my 110 overland vehicle at Donnington.

Come to fit them and the turret diameter of the X-Spring is too small for 110 rear springs. Dohhhh

A quick phone call to Si and he confirmed that they will only fit the smaller diameter 90 springs. Hmmmm!

He mentioned that someone in France had welded a ring onto the turret to make it fit.

So talked around with several people and decided that the best solution was to remove bottom of the turret and weld on a 110 bottom spring mounting plate with the centre removed.

Need to ensure that the welds are neatly ground off and all weld spatter removed so that the X-spring can not catch on the inside off the modified turret.

Also need to make a spring retaining bar from something like 1/2" by 1/8" plate bent through a right angle to assist with wheel changes.

Job is a good one.

Now need to test the new spring set up in the real world. So X-springs will fit a 110!

Regards

Leeds

What size MDPE pipe do you require? as I have some in the yard.

Interesting! Do you have an ongoing supply, or just a small quantity?

I guess I need something with a bore of 120mm and a wall thickness of 25mm or more.

Si