Anyone fancy a day out in the south west?

scottydo

James ,, not problem re the left hand seat,, so long as you look after that side of the panel work :lol:

so we have

1 scottydo

2 pugwash

3 TJ101 / JST

4 hedley

5 white90

6 M005

just need to find a home for hedley, and all sorted then

Mark - who are you doing the 35miler with? how do i get involved? is it a big event?

SPAM, my local friendly MTB club that I joined a few months back.

Guest riders are welcome I think (will check if you're interested). Will probably be ~10 riders as it is an away club ride that it in an area notorious for hills; lots of them & steep :blink:

Didn't know you were into your biking?

one group would be better although 5 tops it has to be i reckon.

Hedley and I are looking for lifts, anyroom Tim/ Tony for a small one? (and a large one for Hedley to fit all that hair in as well!)

Quantocks then onto Exmoor sounds good to me, can finsih with some guaranteed good lanes then.

Pugwash - scratches likely would be my guess. how olds your wagon, we dont want the blame for trashing it!!!!

last time tim lost his rear mudguard (not flap) but nice fibre glass guard on the sides (narrow lanes for rangies they seem to be) i jsut dented both doors with some nice rubbings.

Scratches no probs- ripped off the rear bumper corner caps last time- have scratched all the way down the side and lots of little dents- BUT- i don't want to really trash the car- anything i can T-cut out is fine or perhaps a littel worse but i don't want to have to get the car resprayed or the doors pulled!

Have a 92 classic 3.9 on lpg in great mechanical order but looking a bit rough (wrong way round for a rangie then i guess!)

So 5 vehicles,, if hedley is brave enought to guide scotty round !!! :P

1 scottydo / hedley

2 pugwash

3 TJ101 / JST

4 white90 / Val

5 M005

Nice group i recon !!! :)

James (Pug) ! should be no problem,, sounds like maybe TOR roadbook ?? round the quantocks, and Tony,s lanes over Exmoor ???

its getting there, excellent. i look fwd to the ride Tim, TOny hope you dont mind, not that keen on the back of a wagon!!!!

whos going to plan the post Quantocks route (I dont think we will be on the Quantocks for long!)

Mark

yep def interested is it the sat 26 or sun 27 Nov?

i live at the foot of them so am aware they are steep in places.

i looked at the website but couldnt find anything specific to the event (prob my fault)

have you any more details? specifics? times, helmets needed?

is it a navigation course or technically difficult? i only have a std bike (Marin front shocks only)

to be honest i only do it for the phys but wouldnt mind a chance competing, especially if its on my doorstep.

anything more you have on it would be great.

All - ref the greenlaning be aware that there is an orienteering event on the Quantocks that day as well.

Mark

yep def interested is it the sat 26 or sun 27 Nov?

i live at the foot of them so am aware they are steep in places.

i looked at the website but couldnt find anything specific to the event (prob my fault)

have you any more details? specifics? times, helmets needed?

is it a navigation course or technically difficult? i only have a std bike (Marin front shocks only)

to be honest i only do it for the phys but wouldnt mind a chance competing, especially if its on my doorstep.

anything more you have on it would be great.

It will be the Sunday, helmets are required (no helmet = no ride), times: usually 10h00 - 10h30 start and from experence would expect to be out for ~4 - 5hrs including a tea / cake stop. A hydration pack / camel back or similar would be advisable.

Website only has current month events and not all that have been planned - website is supposed to be undergoing a refurb and I have suggested this as an improvement.

Rides are badged as social rides (ie non competitive), however expect a fair pace (especially from some of them up hills :( ) and some good banter.

Bike will be fine; I have a MY2004 Trek hardtail which cost me the grand old sum of £300. Talking to some of the guys on the Purbeck ride, they spend more than that on their wheels :o Some very nice bikes as would be expected.

theres a couple of lanes that are suitable for james(pug) in broomfield then could pop down just by the bottom of buncombe and pop out by cushuish. then up cothlestone hil to lydeard hill car park and do the old drove road to west quantoxhead and out to exmoor from there. thats my idea for a hour or so at my end of the country.

Bike will be fine; I have a MY2004 Trek hardtail which cost me the grand old sum of £300. Talking to some of the guys on the Purbeck ride, they spend more than that on their wheels :o Some very nice bikes as would be expected.

right, will get a helmet then for the day, guess a motorcross one would be too heavy!!!!! (just kidding)

(Tim - this is for the MTB not the sitting in your wagon bit! so please dont take offence- beisdes i would def be wearing a motorcyle helemt for that day out!)

Am very interested, please could you check if its possible for me to join them and where they are starting from.

If its near Trsicombe/Crowcombe end then we could met at mine prior to going. if it is that end i will prob ride out to meet them.

sounds like my couple of hundred quid bike will fit in then - excellent.

Just done 10miles up there is afternoon and if the whole 35miles is off road i will certainly be knackered by the end of it anyway.

Scott your local knowledge sounds better than mine there, i will have to look up those places on the map, Hedley is a local expert anyway so shouldnt be too great a drama.

Pugwash - you wont need to worry about the Rangie, as this is after Slindon!!!!!

It will be fine,

RAC number always worth having saves fuel on return journey and the need to take laods of tools. plsu you can sleep on the way home.

LPG, V8s and water get on well anyway.

70/90 i dream of speeds like that! (obviosuly i dont have the above, but do have a wagon that runs ok in the rain....)

so you want to convoy up go reasonably early sat to be there for 0930hrs?

(and yes this was meant to answer the qs on 7s thread)

(Tim - this is for the MTB not the sitting in your wagon bit! so please dont take offence- beisdes i would def be wearing a motorcyle helemt for that day out!)

need a bit more the a M/C helmet :P Best i bring you one of mine then,, this should do the trick

:lol::lol::lol:

simpsonbandit.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I think the list is more like this (from prev post plus moving Hedley):

1 scottydo/ hedley

2 pugwash

3 TJ101 / JST

4 white90 & Val

5 M005

Tim I will be away the week prior, due to fly back to UK on the Sat, if its not delayed etc. I will drop you a line then to confirm we are still on.

What time are we meeting up? same place as last time Tim/Hedley? Lydeard Hill car park 0900? or is that too late?

Scott, any chance you can drop me back after on your way home?

Tim any chance you could pick me up on your way there? Hope the heater works in the new beast! or shall i bring lots of coats etc.

Sure, not a problem about giving you a lift home I spect ill be going that way to drop headly off anyways as theres no point wasting fuel for 2 getting to the meet place.

Did you see on the map were the lanes i was on about are or do u want me to send you grid refrences for them? Also do you think that going down pheasent lane would be a bit rough and rutted for pugwash's range rover?

Will have my new wheels on then aswell.

Do yu reckon its going to be a pub lunch or a packed lunch? Or decide closer to the day to see what the weathers doing

you can send the grids over (pm or email trem417@aol.com) if you like.

Expect PugWash will be up for most seeing his Portal axle desires (hey Jim?) as long as his legs dont get scratched!

Pheasent lane the one with the little washout close to the bottom?

If you could collect me and drop me back that would be great and save Tim a diversion to mine. Hedley knows where it is.

Packed meal for me gives flexibility and you can always get pub grub as well. Plus lots of warmers having seen Tims new toy, hope the heaters good.

Tis a proper engine,,so heat should not be a problem :)

Savage,, as James's post,,did you read page 2,,hot seat allready been blaged !!sorry mate,,

don't know if Pugwash or M005 have a passanger lined up as yet,, think you have meet Mark (M005) before on a exmoor trip

With out reading the back posts, if i remember, scottydo/ hedley sorting out the quantock end,, and white90 & Val, putting together the exmoor side ???

Tim

Tis a proper engine,,so heat should not be a problem :)

Savage,, as James's post,,did you read page 2,,hot seat allready been blaged !!sorry mate,,

don't know if Pugwash or M005 have a passanger lined up as yet,, think you have meet Mark (M005) before on a exmoor trip

With out reading the back posts, if i remember, scottydo/ hedley sorting out the quantock end,, and white90 & Val, putting together the exmoor side ???

Tim

oh this is all looking very good indeed.

have a spare seat if anyone is interested- yep it's a bog standard rangie but reckon it will be good fun finding out where it'll go! And i promise not to subject you to a warped sense of humour too much.

Not too worried about damage- although it still needs to be driveable at the end of the day so don't want to snap or bend too many bits if i can help it! If Worst comes to the worst then i someone will be bound to have a winch- Tim you have one don't you?

Yep James,, no worries, crew 3, 4 & 5 have winches,, saying that i have 5 of them in the workshop & att to vehicles,,i must get my a-ss in gear and sort them out !!!

Am sure Savage (Mark), would love to jump in with you,,have just mailed him,

looking forward to the 4th,, should be a good day !!

• 2 weeks later...

I am off on my travels on Tue, due back to the UK Sat pm so will be off line between those dates.

Can we confirm the car park at the top of Lydeard Hill ofr 0930 sun 4 Dec then.

Scott - what sort of time do you think you will be picking me up? i will plan on 0915 unless i hear different.

Mark - great day out today many thanks.

Tony/Tim - see you there.