ampmeter

molly

:hi: can someone give advice or wireing diagram to fit ampmetre to my series 111 landy

thanks molly

Hi Molly, you need to disconnect the main feed wires, if I remember correctly they are on the starter solenoid, one or two thick brown wires. Extend these and connect them to one side of the ammeter. Connect the other side of the ammeter back to the terminal you removed the originals from. Hope that makes sense! The connections need to be 100% and the correct size of wire used.

Why not fit a voltmeter, much easier to wire in?

If you really do want an ammeter..........

Look at the starter solenoid, on the terminal connected to the battery there should be a collection of brown wires. Remove these but keep them connected together and insulate, then connect this junction to one side of the ammeter. The other side of the ammeter connects to the post where the brown wires were removed from.

Switch the lights on and the ammeter should move to -ve, if it moves to +ve reverse the connections on the back of the ammeter.

Beware though, the wires to the ammeter need to be thick as they carry all the electric current (except the starter motor current) between the vehicle and the battery. Use grommets and route them so as to prevent chaffing.

Personally I'd use a voltmeter instead, with practice you can get as much information about the electrics as you can from an ammeter, and they're easier and safer to instal.

Paul.......SNAP!

I can give you at least 2 reasons why NOT to fit an ammeter:

1) A voltmeter tells you twice as much. Voltage & charge (by change in voltage)

2) You will have to break into high current wires, causing unreliability & potential fire risk.

I can give you at least 2 reasons why NOT to fit an ammeter:

1) A voltmeter tells you twice as much. Voltage & charge (by change in voltage)

2) You will have to break into high current wires, causing unreliability & potential fire risk.

If you want to fit an ammeter, there's no reason why not to. The trouble is, to do the job properly, you need to use a shunted ammeter, which avoids running high current wires to the gauge. The trouble will be finding one at a price you want to pay, due to the accuracy needed to make the shunt, and ammeter (ok, it's a voltmeter), they aren't cheap.