110/130 HD double rear springs

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I'm planning the suspension for my project110, i'll need HD rear suspension, and quite fancy the idea of going the genuine LR parts route (although certainly not adverse to getting OME which i currently run on my 90, and swear by it)

anyway, i'll be customising my rear damper upper mounts and dropping them by a couple of inches, to give some extra articulation, and henc the springs will drop out of the upper mounts.

Are the double 110/130 jobbies capable of "dropping out" or will they fall apart and the little top hat thing fall out and bugger it all up? (and the bottom one possibly? or do they bolt into place?)

am i better to have a single, heavier duty spring, with a relocation cone in the spring mount? :unsure::unsure:

cheers y'all!

Guest diesel_jim

Cheers for that Mike and Stephen.

yup, it certainly looks like they won't disclocate without leaving me with a pile of springs and mounts on the floor.

ahh well, ne'er mind.

thanks again!

also I think they are quite rough and in fact many people here running 130s which are relatively lightly laden will take out the helper springs for the first couple of years until the rears soften up a bit to ease the wear and tear on their fillings!

On the plus side a 130 with front and rear anti roll bars handles like its on rails compared to any other Defender :)

Hi Jim

I had a 110 a few years ago with 130 helper springs in the back, spent over a year in africa with them and no problems what so ever. Bear in mind the 110 was nearing 3 tons fully laden and they gave a nice smooth ride ...... empty it was like a go cart ... rock solid and very hard.

Funny rejo we both like the 110 with the 130 rear spring set-up. Mind you it's never what could be called empty.

I took a leaf out of the people from Botswana/Namibia and dropped my rear tyrte pressures from 48 lb to 34 fully laden and empty. A much better ride.

I was suprised how much the helper springs lifted the vehicle.

Now I'm going to see how much it drops when I get it loaded :D

mike

On the plus side a 130 with front and rear anti roll bars handles like its on rails compared to any other Defender :)

You ain't wrong there I can corners like stink! Mind dreadnoughts 110 makes the boy racers look like old grannys! :D

You ain't wrong there I can corners like stink! Mind dreadnoughts 110 makes the boy racers look like old grannys! :D

My 110 came with Twin rear shocks and front & reat anti-roll bars......I thought they all had that.....soon found out otherwise.

Mine handles pretty well - I have just uprated the springs to HD all round + ES9000 shocks - all appears OK so far. It is a bit 'hard' on the back when empty.

post-2179-1185699008_thumb.jpg

I have a 110 with std HD springs in the back. As I use it mostly unladen I am considering fitting weaker springs and air helpers. After saying that, after 12 years I should be used to the ride by now.

I agree that 110 HD springs + 130 helpers will do your fillings no good. (Unless you travel with about a ton on board all the time).

can confirm that the inner helper springs/top hat will just fall out if longer shocks are used.

Better off using a single coil or maybe Polyairs with a standard 330lb/in main spring. At least OME, TJM, Ultimate Suspension and Lovell's here all do single coils to replace the twin coil set up.