Bad luck or what!

Hi, has anyone an explanation for what has just happened to me /

I had a spare hour this morning (Sat) so decided to top up the swivel housings and to make it easy I turned the steering to gain access, did the first one no problem, doing the second one I noticed that some fluid was dripping out from by the steering box! low and behold the thing seems to be leaking.

For the record I turned the steering without starting the engine thus with no assistance from the power steering, could this have popped a seal or something?

anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks

Guest dew110CSW

Turning with the engine off shouldn't hurt it, I've done it before and not had any damage, just blurdy hard to move 235x85s without PAS!

Turning with the engine off shouldn't hurt it, I've done it before and not had any damage, just blurdy hard to move 235x85s without PAS!

Thanks for the replies.

it seems not to be leaking now so I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next day or so. If it is going to go I need to know before the next trip!

Can you get a new seal kit for the steering box's on a 110 defender 300Tdi 96? If so how hard to replace!

Thanks again for the replies.

Yes you can get a kit, it's very expensive as most of the time you only need the shaft seal. Get a Corteco OEM kit if you can. You will need a manual to take apart the box, the rave LR one is good enough. If you haven't got the manual, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the relevant pages.

Yes you can get a kit, it's very expensive as most of the time you only need the shaft seal. Get a Corteco OEM kit if you can. You will need a manual to take apart the box, the rave LR one is good enough. If you haven't got the manual, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the relevant pages.

Thanks, I have the rave manual so if the worst comes to the worst I will have to renew them.

Just seems strange that after moving the wheels to get at the swivel housings it started leaking quiet bad! Now it doesn't seem to be leaking! Strange. Ive put some cardboard under so I'll keep an eye on it...

Thanks jim

Though i don't understand the reason why,my pas box popped the seal and started leaking when i turned the wheel without the pump running.It then settled down and stopped leaking for a few months but eventually started leaking again.I bought a seal kit from my local independant man (the landy is a 1990TD with a 6 bolt box on).The main seal to change is the shaft seal on the shaft for the drop arm ,i changed some others as well but not all as its like a Swiss watch inside these things.That was about 18 months ago and touch wood it has been ok since,i did'nt have a manual so just muddled my way through,the hardest bit was getting the bl***y drop arm off.

Cheers,Mick.

Hi jim, looking at the rave cd I can't find anything on replacing the seals! Do you have any info on this, the rave just tells you how to take it off.

Any info or an exploded view would be great.

I discovered why your RAVE does not have the description of the ps box overhaul - it's because it isn't there! I have looked in the 97, 98, 99 and 02 versions and it doesn't get a mention.

But it IS in the Disco I 97 manual so I have sent you that.

PM means 'Private message' - most people wish to keep their e-mail addresses private.

One thing it doesn't say in the manual is how to get the drop arm off. You can break most pullers, but as your shaft seal is to be changed you can use a lot of heat + puller then it should come off.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you the relevant pages from the manual - it's about 5 pages.

Thanks alot for that Jim.

as I said I'm going to keep an eye on it for now and see if it makes itself better!!!!!!

There is alot in replacing the seals, from what you have sent, but more than likley I'll have to do it in the end.

Thanks again Jim....