Oil Change interval

Hi chaps,

Inexperienced at defender maintenance, so starting of small and working my way up the experience ladder. going to tackle changing the following oils

Engine Oil

Engine Oil filter

Gear box Oil

Transfer box Oil

Both Difs Oil

Have been reading different intervals for changing these so unshure which to use . would like to know what your recommended intervals between oil changes for each of these is (i only do road driving, no off roading or green laning).

p.s. any other tips for when im tackling each one would be appreciated. i.e. (get extra sum washer before doing engine oil)

cheers

p

Engine oil/filt every 6 months/6k miles

All gear oils once a year or 12000 miles, LR don't recommend doing it that often but it is always better to see nice clean oil come out than something which looks like it was drained out of a sewage farm!

3 grease points on each prop shaft, give them 3 or 4 grease gun strokes each about every 4 months or less interval if lots of off road use, depending on the year of your vehicle, swivels are either oil (ep90) filled or one shot grease. the grease is a for life type stuff, oil change when you think it needs it but about 1 a year will be fine

Mike Gemini recommends re-greasing wheel bearings every 12 months as a preventative maintenance job.

I've got to admit, it makes sense and will make time to do this (another learning curve for me...) when I've got an opportunity to make mistakes do it.

Mike Gemini recommends re-greasing wheel bearings every 12 months as a preventative maintenance job.

I've got to admit, it makes sense and will make time to do this (another learning curve for me...) when I've got an opportunity to make mistakes do it.

if you convert your hubs to oil lubed using an RTC3511 seal you'll prevent water ingress, won't need to service regularly and the bearings will last a lot longer ;)

p.s. any other tips for when im tackling each one would be appreciated.

Engine oil:

Run engine to operating temp before changing. Oil flow out much quicker.

Yes, fit a new sump washer.

Fill the filter with oil before fitting, and oil the sealing ring on it.

When restarting, make sure the oil pressure like goes out within a few seconds.

Gearbox, transfer box and diff:

Make sure you can get the filler plug out BEFORE you drain them. You'll probably need a pump to fill the gear and transfer boxes.

Your 1/2" drive will fit the diff plugs, just in case you don't know.

Don't over tighten any plugs, as most, if not all, of them are tapered.