Advice on Engine Flushing

:hysterical:

Nah, No one on this earth could convince me to do that, come on, lets face it, this water in engine problem was a build/maintenance issue.

With megasquirt, I now have all the power and glory of V8 including the only good attribute of the diesel, being able to run in water! (except when stalled and allowed to swallow like a whore!)

You see, missing me already, wanting your weekly fix of Diesel vs Petrol!

I think it's time for a wade off;

Drive each car out into the lake to within an inch of the snorkel top, leave to idle (or not in your case) for an hour, then whosever engine requires the least maintainance to go back out into combat wins.

You up for it?

Or alternatively just admit that your chosen engine was designed in the darkages by cavemen :P

I think it's time for a wade off;

Drive each car out into the lake to within an inch of the snorkel top, leave to idle (or not in your case) for an hour, then whosever engine requires the least maintainance to go back out into combat wins.

You up for it?

Or alternatively just admit that your chosen engine was designed in the darkages by cavemen :P

Nah, get me seats all wet!

And thats another point entirely, yes the engine was invented in the darkages, your engine was invented 40 years later, and still has less power! And now they are coming of age - are we not seeing far too many elastic bands snapping? - oh correct me if Im wrong, didnt you snap yours? :lol:

Nah, get me seats all wet!

And thats another point entirely, yes the engine was invented in the darkages, your engine was invented 40 years later, and still has less power! And now they are coming of age - are we not seeing far too many elastic bands snapping? - oh correct me if Im wrong, didnt you snap yours?

My elastic band did indeed snap then fall off, how many of your engines has mine seen off in the interim though :P

My elastic band did indeed snap then fall off, how many of your engines has mine seen off in the interim though :P

Can't count the series 1, that had been to the moon and back several times, so it was worthy of a new cam and some shells. Restored back to life.

Erm - one! The original RR 3.5ltr

And that was bought with a dodgy cam, could have replaced, but was a good excuse to chuck in the blue print.

So three engines to my one and you still won't follow me into the water :lol:

Are you a Politician or having selective mathematics ability?

I sold the series 1 with a fully functioning (and still is) engine. So, not scrap.

The current engine is working fine. So not scrap!

The only engine that was scrapped was bought as a knackered unit, with a known limited life!! That could have been broought back to life with a cam and some followers.

Dont gloat too much, Ive seen your 300tdi fully rebuilt because of water damage! A whole new front end if I remember correctly, admit it, Ive got more power, better throttle response and can still go in the water :P

Are you a Politician or having selective mathematics ability?

I sold the series 1 with a fully functioning (and still is) engine. So, not scrap.

The current engine is working fine. So not scrap!

The only engine that was scrapped was bought as a knackered unit, with a known limited life!! That could have been broought back to life with a cam and some followers.

Dont gloat too much, Ive seen your 300tdi fully rebuilt because of water damage! A whole new front end if I remember correctly, admit it, Ive got more power, better throttle response and can still go in the water :P

How many do you have in the shed, that you have to rob for bits to keep yours functioning?

You still havent managed to get the same amount of offroading out of a single engine as i have :P

At a recent playday didn't my underpowered, unresponsive engine manage to get my fat car up a little slope first time that took your rangy 3 attempts to manage

How many do you have in the shed, that you have to rob for bits to keep yours functioning?

You still havent managed to get the same amount of offroading out of a single engine as i have :P

At a recent playday didn't my underpowered, unresponsive engine manage to get my fat car up a little slope first time that took your rangy 3 attempts to manage

You are a politician then, your are not comparing apples for apples, hasnt a little issue about gearing and 37" boggers got something to do with it, or are a little nervous that a bog standard drive train can sniff your diff?

And yes, three attempts, however didn’t the two nearest equivalent vehicles (2 x 90 diesels) fail to get up?

Oh and thats rich, spare engines, I fell off my seat, I can think of two of yours in my workshop now!!!!

I think you only have the casting work as unreplaced!

Dont forget, I was there when the 300tdi had a full rebuild about a year ago!

Dump the oil,

Drop the sump, clean out refit

Change the filter, refill cheap 20/50

then take a risk :blink:

Dependant on how good a condition the engine is shove in 3 tins of FORTE Engine flush, then go for a drive,

block the front of the rad with cardboard so it gets really good n hot,

then have everything ready so when you get back after about a 20-30 drive you drop the oil and filter again.

The risk is that this will disolve loads of stuff in your engine varnish, carbon deposits etc etc and as such if the engine is tired it can knock and rattle as you have 2Flushed" away the carbon and junk that has so far stopped it rattling.

It will cleans the insides klike you won't belive, I would then refill, new filter 1x tin and repeat

Then pray

Nige

You are both suffering from selective memories :lol:

To be fair Rog's V8 is the best Rover V8 any one man could ever hope to own, in fact its the only Rover V8 anyone should ever want to own

Urgh I feel dirty for saying it :wacko:

Yes, it was invented in the darkages, but so were spoons and fire, and yet people still have a use for them

But, that only proves that standard rover V8's are completely unaceptable in terms of complexity, power, reliabilty and running cost, compared to almost any engine available today, or indeed twenty years ago. Rog's is just one engine in many thousands that is okay :rolleyes:

Give me a diesel any day.

Rog:

And yes, three attempts, however didn’t the two nearest equivalent vehicles (2 x 90 diesels) fail to get up?

And yet both almost made it, one with a 20yr old 200tdi with 175000miles on it, and one with a new 300tdi, neither making full power I imagine. Plus novice drivers and no lockers, I'd say that engines had almost nothing to do with it :P

Also you seem to have conveniently forgotten the other V8 RRC which could barely make it halfway up the same slope, i'd say its definitely down to lockers

Dan:

Your "fat car" that probably weighs less than Rog's RRC, at least without you on board :lol: The unresponsive engine that makes 60bhp over standard, with a one off ported and polished head and aftermarket turbo?

I'm sure I've got a video of it struggling in the same place that stopped 2 x standard 90's and slowed Rog's RRC, cant be quite as good as you remember :D

Lewis :)

And yet both almost made it, one with a 20yr old 200tdi

That will be the original pre-production engine then (3 years before introduction)?

Lewis,

You have a "wise" head on those young shoulders! But being sensible with DD is boring, its much better to constantly remind him how unlikeable a Diesel really is. Entertaining if nothing else.

Some may cringe at this suggestion but it worked for us after my mate blew a head gasket on his 200 TDI and filled the sump up with emulsified coolant and oil mixture. Once we got the head back on and the engine running with fresh oil and filter we ran it up to normal temperature, stopped the engine and took an oil sample from the drain plug. It still had a thick and creamy consistency and color. After a second change of oil and filter the result was the same and it was beginning to get expensive, So I drained the oil again, heated up a 20 litre jerry can of distillate beside the pot belly stove just short of boiling and poured the whole lot into the engine. With the engine full of hot distillate I jacked up a front wheel and with the gearbox in 4th gear turned the engine over about 50 times by turning the wheel by hand. I then drained the sump and strained the distillate through a sock into a clean container, reheated it back on the stove, poured back in engine, turned it over 50 times and drained. After draining off the deisel for the last time I turned the engine over another 20 odd times to purge the oil pump of distillate, refitted sump plug, replenished engine with new oil and filter, ran engine untill hot and checked contents of sump, good as new.

Bill.

Wots than then Bill ? :huh:

Nige

Im not the only one then?

Google:

1. A liquid condensed from vapor in distillation.

2. A purified form; an essence: "Finally the President knows the most crucial things about every facet of reality, the pristine distillate of the world's critical information" Peregrine Worsthorne.

That will be the original pre-production engine then (3 years before introduction)?

Lewis,

You have a "wise" head on those young shoulders! But being sensible with DD is boring, its much better to constantly remind him how unlikeable a Diesel really is. Entertaining if nothing else.

Oops, having a maths breakdown, moden skooling ant wot it wonce woz :rolleyes:

Forumeers keep expecting me to be much older when they meet me, I must be a bit of a dissapointment, that and really dull :unsure::lol: