Military bumper

Guest diesel_jim

The military ones arn't very strong though, in fact, they're no stronger than a civvy one, they just have the pin in the middle, and if you accidentally "push" with one, they just bend.

far better to spend a bit and get something like this or this or a "genuine military bumper" from paddocks/britpart although not sure if this is a heaby duty version.

I've seen a real beefy copy of the military one, but can't remember who did it. i looked at mantec and foley's, but it wasn't there, i'm sure it was foleys though, i remember seeing it in a magazine.

Bought a new bumper for my ex-MOD 90 a few years ago to replace the existing one which was looking a bit tatty. Brand-new / take-off, genuine part (LR Parts stickers still present) and it was certainly stronger than a civy patern one. There is some additional bracing and the area between the mounting brackets is also boxed in.

Certainly there are some pretty naff copies out there but also there also some decent ones, you have to take a good look at what you are buying before you purchase as a normal bumper with a slot cut into it and then drilled to take a pin will fold at the earliest opportunity. I have seen them for sale at shows and people were happy to buy them rather than buying decent HD versions available a few stalls away because they were a fraction of the cost.

P.S. Forgot to say, bought mine from Nick Evans LR Spares near Bedford, £50 (came with new pin & chain as well).

in answer to the question just wander around salibury plain late one night and have a look in the woods for them, take a ratchet with you!

mil one should be reinforced in the middle around the area of the tow point back to the chassis legs the ends are same simple tin foil ones.

The military ones arn't very strong though, in fact, they're no stronger than a civvy one, they just have the pin in the middle, and if you accidentally "push" with one, they just bend.

far better to spend a bit and get something like this or this or a "genuine military bumper" from paddocks/britpart although not sure if this is a heaby duty version.

I've seen a real beefy copy of the military one, but can't remember who did it. i looked at mantec and foley's, but it wasn't there, i'm sure it was foleys though, i remember seeing it in a magazine.

There are 2 types of mil bumper so I was told a few years ago, good strong ones and rubbish tinny ones, both basically the same design.

mil one should be reinforced in the middle around the area of the tow point back to the chassis legs the ends are same simple tin foil ones.

I assume that even the reinforced ones are not suitable for recovery?

Guest diesel_jim
I assume that even the reinforced ones are not suitable for recovery?

They're OK as long as you'r "pulling" on them, ie, the dead vehicle is behind the towing one, and there is a rope/straight bar connecting the two.

if you "pull" on them, they're fairly strong, it's when you "push" (as in, the rear vehicle driving and pushing the front vehicle with a straight bar) then they're as weak as a packet of crisps.