A week in the Flinders Ranges

Paul

Just back from a week in the Flinders, about 400km or so north of Adelaide, South Australia. I met up with 2 mates about 100km south of first destination (Rawnsley Park Station). They had been travelling for the previous week in nearby areas, both towing caravans, and fully equipped with 5 kids between them. Our little party consisted of a Ford Courier 4x4, Holden Rodeo 4x4, and my Defender. We intended to tour around Wilpena Pound and some other places in the Flinders, but the main aim was to complete Skytrek, an apparently challenging 4wd only tour along the ridgetops of a sheep station.

Some photos for your amusement:

Firstly, meeting point where Defender says G'day to Courier:

PICT0068Small.jpg

Something to give you an idea of the type of landscape we were in:

PA170007Small.jpg

Even though it's spring, there was still a little water in some of the creek beds:

PA170015Small.jpg

On the way in to Skytrek:

PA180021Small.jpg

The Skytrek tour itself is about 50km in length, and took us just under 6 hours to complete. Obviously all low range stuff, but on the whole fairly strightforward. The Courier got stuck on one of the steeper climbs after it started raining, but it only required a few rocks to be hammered under the dangling wheels to get him going again. Here he is after cresting the climb that he got stuck on. I'm not giving him any stick for it, honest! :D

PA180024Small.jpg

The highlight of the trek was supposed to be reaching the top of Mount Caernarvon, the highest point accessable by 4wd in the ranges. Unfortunately by the time we got there the rain had well and truly closed in, meaning we had a view of not very much at all!

PA180026Small.jpg

We moved south on Wednesday to Peterborough, roughly a third of the way back to Adelaide. That gave us access to the Brendleby Ranges. This is another sheepstation that has opened up to 4wds, with a large variety of tracks available. Everything from tame and scenic, to 'make sure one of you has a winch' was available. Even the track from the homestead (his back driveway) was kinda fun:

PICT0109Small.jpg

Brendleby is much less open than the Flinders, but quite a picturesque place to be:

PICT0087Small.jpg

PICT0086Small.jpg

PICT0094Small.jpg

Some tracks did get a bit tight:

PICT0096Small.jpg

It was a good week, a few smaller scenic tours mixed in with the two more challenging tracks. No damage that I know of the for the Defender, so that was good. Didn't need to use the winch, although I nearly had the oppotunity when the Courier got stuck. Hearing me suggest he might need to be pulled out of his predicament gave him the extra incentive to get himself unstuck, tyresmoke and all.:lol: The onboard air system I built earlier in the year came to good use. Being able to re-inflate 12 tyres in less time than a 12v jobbie could do 1, made me a popular bloke with my travelling companions. B)

No echidnas, but literally dozens and dozens of emus. I've never seen so many, fortunately they're not as stupid as 'roos, and tend to stay on the side of the road without suddenley feeling the need to run out and leap through your radiator! It's hard to gauge in the photo, but these guys are nearly tall enough to look a man sqaure in the eye, over 5'.

PICT0074Small.jpg

A few brown snakes on the roads too. One big fella that didn't quite make it across was at least an 8 footer.

Col

I can't believe you're selling the Camel! Can't you send it to Oz?

Emu`s, I never credited em with being as bright as a roo, they seem to find the largest strainer post and run into it, where as a roo will at least go over the fence.

As for the Camel, we can`t take it to Dubai with us and can`t justify the costs of shipping it back home just to sit and wait until we get around to moving back home for good. Shame though, I`m not looking forward to selling it. :(

As for the Camel, we can`t take it to Dubai with us and can`t justify the costs of shipping it back home just to sit and wait until we get around to moving back home for good.

No, No. Send it back to Oz, it won't just sit around, I'll look after it for ya! ;)