should I try a double cardon prop?

streaky

The truck is a Discovery V8 series I. 98' Model.

Suspension is 2" lift via Dobinson springs and shocks.

Front radius arms are 3 degree QT's...rears trailing arms are standard.

Tyres are 265/75/16 BFG' AT's on Steel Disco rims.

I've got quite a steep angle on the props which is causing the usual vibrations.

Q) Would a set of double cardon props help my situation?

Q) What F&R props are on a Discovery II...if they have double cardons would I be able to use them?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Cheers.

S.

Guest diesel_jim

Front prop on a D2 is double cardon, but un-greasable, so limited (off road) life.

but certainly worth trying.

apparently some hi-luxes use a double CV front shaft too, and they're supposed to be pretty beefy, so if there's a prop maker near you you could get one knocked up?

This may sound a little obvious, and I do not wish to teach egg sucking here, but have you checked the condition of your propshaft UJ's ?

I run a 2" lift with 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws and standard hockey sticks and radius arms and have never had propshaft issues. The car has been thrown at the scenery, and done at least 20,000 miles since I've owned it.

Just a thought before you spend your hard earned cash. :)

Adrian, it's the QT arms that cause the problem with the prop by rotating the axle back round therefore increasing the angle on the props. It's a bit of a trade off, you get your self centering back and get good at changing UJs or have good UJ life and poor steering centering. I went for the former and am now quite good at UJs :)

Mo

This may sound a little obvious, and I do not wish to teach egg sucking here, but have you checked the condition of your propshaft UJ's ?

I run a 2" lift with 265/75/16 Grizzly Claws and standard hockey sticks and radius arms and have never had propshaft issues. The car has been thrown at the scenery, and done at least 20,000 miles since I've owned it.

Just a thought before you spend your hard earned cash. :)

Some very good and valid points there.

I'm not getting through UJ's but was trying to cure the vibrations....it's like a perminant humming up through the seat base.

Balance of wheels is pretty good so I can't really think of much else.

Thx & regards.

S

Some very good and valid points there.

I'm not getting through UJ's but was trying to cure the vibrations....it's like a perminant humming up through the seat base.

Balance of wheels is pretty good so I can't really think of much else.

Thx & regards.

S

You have been told what the problem is.

Castor correction radius arms st_ff up the pinion angle and cause the prop shaft vibration because the angles at the u-joints are wrong.

You have been told how to fix it. Use stock radius arms. If you want the castor corrected, then slot the holes in the swivel balls.

The vibration will be as bad or worse if you fit a double cardin propshaft - unless you correct the pinion angle.

My disco I has nearly 4" lift. With stock radius arms I have no noticeable propshaft vibration. I don't have any steering problems either, but that may be due to the truetracs in the diffs.

Hi Streaky

Hows things, was at ards wedding yesterday good grub and free beer ....... what more can you ask for

Anyway have pretty much the same set up as you 764 on the front 762 on the rear, 265x75, caster corrected arms and had bad vibes. I took a d2 front prop and a 200tdi rear prop this cured all vibes in one go. Also gives the advantage of dumping the rubber donut on the rear prop. Thats a three inch lift with no vibes and self centering steering. If you go down this street you will also need the flange from the transfer box for the d2 prop and the rear flange from the 200 diff, you might also need a spacer for the flange on the rear diff. I bought a flange for the rear diff on the softdash and this was long enougth think it depends on what year flange you get hold of.

The d2 is a non greaseable prop so when this eventually dies I'll be on the phone to the propshaft clinic, the one on the range rover came from there, not cheap but a fantastic bit of kit and grease nipples everywhere.

Have fun.

Jo