td5 defender high ratio transfer box

I don't know the figure you refer to but all Td5 Defender transfer boxes are 1.4:1 as far as I am aware, there isn't a "high ratio" option at least not from the factory (though I am sure many people have fitted the 1.22:1 box out of a Discovery)

Makes a very worthwhile conversion on my 300TDi 90 and I thoroughly recomend it but you should really try and take a spin in a converted TD5 before making your mind up.

If 'converted' [from 1.4 to 1.2] does a Defender Td5 have greatly reduced towing capability?

My 110 does 90% non towing, but I do need it for towing car trailers with other landies on, and am also considering a 5 berth double axle caravan.

Does putting a 1.2 transfer box in make the Defender like a Td5 Disco to tow with ?

My transfer box is a real whiner, so will be swapping it for a recon box from Ashcroft, and as I feel that at 60mph I need to change in to 'sixth gear' am considering the 1.2 gearing.

i have just had the high ratio box fitted, not only quieter (than my 175k box) but also smoother, the new gearing takes a little bit to get used to spending longer in 4th than before, but once into 5th she realy flies, felling much more relaxed. when towing a heavy trailer i would keep in 4th alot, for hills but still has loads of power there. if you spend only 10% towing i would recomend , also had new gearbox at same time as the old one gave in, so i may just feel impressed with the whole new setup.