Do I need these?

Hi All,

Been lurking for a while and gaining from the tech archive procedures but I now need interactive help, as it were.

I have an Ex-MOD 110 1986 with a 2.5 NAD and due to a very tight budget I'm doing some bits to the engine rather than looking at replacing it. The symptoms were clouds of white smoke out the exhaust when starting and running. I've got the head off and found large carbon deposits in the inlet throat and valves and guides are worn which i shall replace.

The thing that has me scratching is that there is only the outer spring on all the valves! Is this usual and something to just ignore or should I get a set of inner springs to fit as well? Also any thoughts on the reason for the above carbon sludge?

Any help appreciated.

Ian

The springs are single. So there are no innner or outer springs. Lots of white smoke sounds like low compression - your bores are worn. Cleaing off the sludge won't do any harm, but maybe not much good either. If your bores aren't too bad you could possibly get by with changing the rings and honing the bores, change the big end shells at the same time. Unfortunately it could be a waste of money and time if the engine is really worn. Take the head off and measure.

The springs are single. So there are no innner or outer springs. Lots of white smoke sounds like low compression - your bores are worn. Cleaing off the sludge won't do any harm, but maybe not much good either. If your bores aren't too bad you could possibly get by with changing the rings and honing the bores, change the big end shells at the same time. Unfortunately it could be a waste of money and time if the engine is really worn. Take the head off and measure.

Not exactly what I was hoping to hear :(

Looks like I'll just do the minimum to get the engine back running and see where I go from there.

Cheers, Ian