Turbo from TD to 200tdi

Mean Green

Ok, so a conversation occured today and a question was raised.....

would it be possible to remove the Turbo and manifold from a TD engine and fit it to a 200Tdi from a Disco to allow easy fitting in a Defender?

What are the differences between a TD turbo and manifold and that from a Tdi?

Basically a mate has a 90 with a (nearly) bust engine. He may have access to a decent Disco 200 lump, but doesnt want to remould the footwell. So could it be converted to Defender "spec" using bits from the TD?

If not why not?

the floor is open....

There are enough of us on here who have done this conversion. There is absolutely no need to modify the footwells. There are off the shelf exhast parts or you could make your own.

I'm sure someone will come along and post some pics of their conv. I didn't take any of job in progress.

i have a mate with a defender tdi that has what we think is a td turbo on it, its certainly smaller than a tdi one ad pants is an understatement, before he had the 1:2 transfer box it was revving its knackers off at 60 no its got a 1:2 we managed to get 75ish but the boost gauge was off the scale (around1:6 bar) i have a larger turbo of an ldv that we are going to fit once we get chance.

I have dont the disco 200 conversion and you may aswell just buy the exhaust or fab one up its a lot easier and probably cheaper than a td turdo.

£100 will buy you the correct downpipe required to fit a disco tdi into a 90/110, negating the need to remould footwells or butcher and weld the exhaust yourself.

its a straightforward fit and forget and mates straight up to the existing td exhaust system already on the vehicle.

saves a huge amount of time and hassle.