Rear axle query

muddy

I have bought this rear axle with the intention of upgrading my 90 back axle to discs, seen as tho i have made a new a frame to allow more travel i will need to butcher the axle caseing to fit it. I was hoping to swap the stub axles over but this is a no no. Basicly the guy i bought it off said he normaly gets £100 a peice for them so i want to see how much it is worth before i hack it up.

509.07007.jpg

It has a pair of calipers with one line each to them and these could do with a rebuild i suspect, all the diffpan ect looks good has been paited red oxide at some point.

So whats it worth?

Will.

Couldn´t you carry the hubs over, instead of the stub axles ?

I cannot recall the difference in the stub axles, but very likely the hubs have a different bolt pattern between the 90" and the RangeRover axle that you appear to have.

Furthermore there might be hub driving members that will make the 90" halfshaft fit the RangeRover hub.

I´d give Ashcroft a call, they probably no the details.

If i may direct your attention to this thread: Build up of my 90

you should be able to see i have modified my existing drum braked back axle.

After doin this i foolishly realised it would be a good idea to upgrade to discs and when i went to buy a diff and was offered the complete axle for another £20 it seemed daft not to buy it.

I am therefore trying to swap my drumbraked hubs/stub axle for the range rover ones so that i do not have to chop up a perfectly good rr axle case and my axle is worth FA due to my modifications, however me being new to this axle swap malarky and having never looked in detail at a rrc rear axle i did not realise that the caliper mounts were part of the axle.

Now i have realised my complete foolishness minor error i am considering giving the axle a new lick of paint and selling it on and for now sticking with my rear drums.

Thanks for all your help :)

will.

Now i have realised my complete foolishness minor error i am considering giving the axle a new lick of paint and selling it on and for now sticking with my rear drums.

Thanks for all your help :)

will.

Will,

If you plan to keep the vehicle for any length of time, I would seriously consider fitting the whole new axle with disc brakes, they are a major improvement, especially if you play in the gloop or tow a lot.

Its not a hard job to do, and whilst you have the "new" axle on the deck, you could give it a full rebuid for not much money.

Fridge, dont quote me on this, but IIRC the PCD for the stubs is different.