Bluetooth GPS

Mark90

A while a go I bought a cheap (about £70, when you couldn't find then in the UK for less than about £100-120) no name Bluetooth GPS of ebay from China. It was great for while, good battery life, held on to a signal under tree cover, etc. But then it packed up and I had very little joy trying to get it sorted.

Currently I'm using a wired unit with my PDA, which is ok, but it doesn't hang on to weak signals very well, so I'm looking at going for a Bluetooth jobbie again, especially as the price has come down a bit.

Ideally I'm looking for a good battery life, USB charging would be nice (as i have ciggy socket to USB adpaters for in car use), hangs on to a signal tighter than Honiton Hobbit hangs on to his wallet, decent amout of channels (do you really need 42? are there that many sats visible?). I'd rather pay £40-50 for a good one than spend £30 and get stung again.

So what you got and how is it? Any recommendations for units and/or suppliers?

ebay item:320153275203

I have this version and to date it has proved superb

works indoors even

locates and locks on very quickly

auto shut off if no bluetooth sig received from PDA

and shares battery with My Nokia phone

I have only charged it twice

I'd recommend it to anyone

I've got a Holux GPSlim236 and have been very pleased with it - 20 channel SirfIII and it doesn't quite work indoors but will by a window with a bit of time to find a signal. In the vehicle it's never had any problems even under thick tree cover, only gone slightly off next to big cliffsides. Battery lasts ages, once the bluetooth is connected it stays connected. Only problem I had was with it on the dash of my car going through France when it got too hot (I couldn't hold it in my hand it was so hot!), dangled it by the cool air vents and it started working again and has ever since. I'd recommend it, looks like they might do a 32channel one now too.

Richard

Well he didn't accept my low offer :( But I bought one anyway. Arrived this morning, says Holux BT-321 on the unit.

Works well, very quick to connect BT to my PDA. Had to take it outside first to get a fix when cold but now it picks up a fix indoors.

First impressions are good :)

Which model Nokia phone batteries fit? I might try and pick up a spare for when I don't have time to recharge.

Well he didn't accept my low offer :( But I bought one anyway. Arrived this morning, says Holux BT-321 on the unit.

Works well, very quick to connect BT to my PDA. Had to take it outside first to get a fix when cold but now it picks up a fix indoors.

First impressions are good :)

Which model Nokia phone batteries fit? I might try and pick up a spare for when I don't have time to recharge.

Its the one they just recalled. BL-5C, I think. Thats what mine takes.