Fuel Tank woes

Lars L

The tank on my -86 110 started dripping, so I have bought a new one from Paddock. The tank is of the exquisite Britparts manufacture... :rolleyes: And in two parts, there is also a cradle to fit underneath the actual tank.

The cradle is a bit too short, actually ½" when compared to the tank itself, and it's also bent a little out of the contours of the tank. Well, it seems as it will be an interesting time trying to get things in place. Has anybody else here had the "pleasure" of getting one of these in place? Will it fit when I'm actually there or shall I try to get the old one off the leaking tank to use instead? At least, the old one fits.

Any help and so on...

It's a few years since I fitted my replacement, but it was from Paddocks I think.

I remember lying on my back with my knees bending the cradle into position. It did fit though, with a bit of persuasion.

Maybe see how the old compares to the new, when you get the old one off.

like Gromit ^^^^ did my 110 many years back with a Paddocks replacement lying on my back in petrol soaked gravel.

TBH other than issues trying to syphon out a near full tank and the mess it didn't go too bad. Used blocks of wood and a jack while taking the bolts out/putting them back. The tank was all in one piece though with the cradle fitted.

recently changed my 110's tank too, bit of a pain as it's not very easy to get it to line up with the bolts, took me ages to get it in the right place, seperate stone guard on mine too, just as awkward to fit.

the old tank stone guard was/still is spot welded to it, so would be a pain to remove.

the power of bolts will make it fit, you just tighten it into fitting.

i would really recommend getting a friend to help as its not fun on your own.

i covered my tank and guard in hammerite before fitting, then fitted the crossmember end and forced it wound to the axle end. once in place i seam sealed all the gaps between tank and guard and then chassis painted the lot to try and stop it from corroding.

even though it is forced into position its not really right, the hole for the drain plug is hardly centred and its obvious its under strain. in any case its probably about a third of the cost of the genuine part. if only somebody made parts that were kind of in between in price.

also i'm convinced the new sender is short.