07 Defender "Heavy Duty" drivetrain option....

Damo

Hi (first post for me) :blink:

I'm just going through the options on a 2007 Defender (110) and I came across the following.

"Heavy Duty Suspension 3,500kg, includes heavy duty wheels, G90 tyres, heavy duty jack, heavy duty axles & heavy duty clutch = £1740"

This option is available to all 110 body types yet the 130's have it as standard....I've never heard of it before, questions that spring to mind are:

#Heavy duty clutch (any idea what this is? Is it a more hard wearing friction plate?)

#Heavy duty axles (again, no idea what this means, I assume its not a Salisbury axle?)

I intend keeping this one for a long time so I'm considering it. I also have a couple more questions :rolleyes:

> can you turn a corner on a hard road with diff lock engaged? I've can't remember ever trying this, and I'm not in a position to test one...I believe the Defender has central diff-lock, and when it's engaged I think it supplies the same drive to front and back axles together, but individual wheels on the same axle can still spin if they loose grip?

> can you switch the traction control off in a 2007 Defender? I understand its supposed to help a bit if one wheel is spinning more than the other, but I wonder if it would interfere with an aftermarket axle diff-lock....

Many thanks!!

I think there has always been a HD suspension option on 110s

I guess it uses the 130 clutch centre which is not a lot "heavier" just a bit wider friction lining IIRC

You shouldn't drive a vehicle on paved roads in difflock, not unless you like buying expensive oily bits for the transfer box!

Technically if you have an axle difflock the ETC should be intelligent enough (or thick enough) to figure out the wheels are all going the same speed and so to keep quiet, but I don't know if it works in practice or not. Can't see why it would cause a problem though.

I think there has always been a HD suspension option on 110s

I think that previously they were only offered for 110 hardtop/ hi cap/ truck cab variants. When I contacted LR early this year they advised that there should be a H/D suspension option for the station wagon this year also, but I can't seem to find any detail on it on the web.

ETC on the 2007 defender is not switchable.

Hi (first post for me) :blink:

> can you turn a corner on a hard road with diff lock engaged? I've can't remember ever trying this, and I'm not in a position to test one...I believe the Defender has central diff-lock, and when it's engaged I think it supplies the same drive to front and back axles together, but individual wheels on the same axle can still spin if they loose grip?

> can you switch the traction control off in a 2007 Defender? I understand its supposed to help a bit if one wheel is spinning more than the other, but I wonder if it would interfere with an aftermarket axle diff-lock....

Many thanks!!

Welcome!

Don't go round corners with diff lock engaged. Your thinking is logical but remember that only your front wheels are steering - your rear wheels are following. Take it to the extreme and imagine you are reverse-turning into a parking space. The fronts are travelling a lot further than the backs. The same is true when cornering but on a less drastic scale. After a few corners you'll have "wound the transmission". Could be expensive if the wheels can't slip to unwind.

Traction control won't matter. If you have difflock engaged then the traction control won't detect any appreciable slip and so won't engage.

Not a lot of people know that that GVW of a standard 110 is actually only 3050kgs. Ticking the 'HD' option (effectively giving you a 130 spec) pushes the GVW up to the 3500kgs mark. Note that the HD version of a SW still only gets a GVW rating of 3050kgs. The 130 clutch plate has a different (tougher) clutch plate material. Wheels are steel Wolf rims. Not sure of the rear axle differences, unless it's referring to the twin spring helper set-up.

According to offical LR spec:

Std 110

Regular Front axle: Dual rate coil springs

Regular Rear Axle: 3050kgs beam axle. Multi-rate coil springs

Max front axle weight: 1200kgs

Max rear axle weight: 1850kgs

SW on alloys:

Max rear axle weight: 1750kgs

HD Spec

HD Front Axle: Single rate coil springs

HD Rear Axle: Single Rate coil springs. Co-Axial helper Springs

Max front axle weight: 1580kgs

Max rear axle weight: 2200kgs

HD SW on alloys:

Max rear axle weight: 1940kgs

thanks for the detail, yep it makes sense that the traction control would detect the wheels are turning at the same time with the axle locked and so would not interfere. I didn't realise alloys were rated much less. I guess the spring rate for HD would probably make for a very choppy ride in a station wagon unless they were well loaded (which is v. unlikely)....