V8 Adapter for Series????? / LT77 Bell Housing

minivin

Thought it would be better here as it seems a mix of defender or series or something unknown, got a Bellhousing HRC1738, believed to be early 90/110 as it's from a suffix E gearbox:

DSCF1634.jpg

Now!, the adapter ring I got last night doesn't mate-up, got the following hole pattern and is slightly smaller in location hole diamater (313mm appr.):

DSCF1633.jpg

So, which one is correct, is the ring a true Series III 2.25 4 cyl. Gearbox adapter ring, or is the LT77 bellhousing a true early 90/110 item that would affix to a Series III 2.25 4 cyl. engine?

<sigh>

Guest diesel_jim

I don't know the answer to that question, but i have got a spare 300Tdi to R380 flywheel housing (it's the bit that bolts to the back of the engine block that the gearbox then bolts to, called "housing assembly,clutch", part # ERR4723

maybe it'll fit onto the 2.25? yours for a tenner, and i'll be laning tomorrow evening around the 'plain area, so can drop it off if you think it'll work.

cheers

Jamie

Cheers Jim, not sure without trying to fit a 300TDi bell housing to a series engine, but IIRC the hole mounting pattern is different :(

Now all I need is definate confirmation, whether my bell housing is correct and that the adapter is definately wrong, and what it is for :blink:

Cheers Jim, not sure without trying to fit a 300TDi bell housing to a series engine, but IIRC the hole mounting pattern is different :(

You can mate a 300Tdi to a series box with not too much work apparently. Just need to move a couple of the studs etc.

You can mate a 300Tdi to a series box with not too much work apparently. Just need to move a couple of the studs etc.

hopefully should know by this evening whether the bell housing I have is series-comparable or whether I may need to go down that route :)

Looks to me like you've picked up a 6cyl to V8 conversion plate. You need a 4cyl to V8 conversion plate. Andy Kiff had the same trouble!

The 4cyl kit will fit straight to the LT77 bellhousing.

Jon

Funny you should mention Andy, I been talking on the phone to him and he emailed me the piccies of his "correct" ring, shall have to give a shout to the person I brought it from :)