Stub axle gasket

I'm replacing a rear stub axle seal on my ex-MOD 110 (VIN MAxxxxx) and I ordered FTC3649 gaskets from Paddock

They are the correct bolt pattern but are different inner diameter and the outer diameter runs outside the axle flange - I fitted one side about 6 months ago and just let the flange 'crop' the excess off but I am concerned it will pucker up and not seat properly (I dressed both sides with Permatex anerobic - perhaps that's why it hasn't leaked... yet... ?)

Doing the other side now and wanted opinions

post-4308-1192033141_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1192033156_thumb.jpg

[not worried about the seal... yes it looks different ID too but that's because the old one has no lips anymore B) ]

I'm replacing a rear stub axle seal on my ex-MOD 110 (VIN MAxxxxx) and I ordered FTC3649 gaskets from Paddock

They are the correct bolt pattern but are different inner diameter and the outer diameter runs outside the axle flange - I fitted one side about 6 months ago and just let the flange 'crop' the excess off but I am concerned it will pucker up and not seat properly (I dressed both sides with Permatex anerobic - perhaps that's why it hasn't leaked... yet... ?)

Doing the other side now and wanted opinions

post-4308-1192033141_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1192033156_thumb.jpg

[not worried about the seal... yes it looks different ID too but that's because the old one has no lips anymore B) ]

Bit of a long shot but have they supplied front stub axle gaskets rather than rear. On a series the fronts are bigger ID and OD with the same bolt pattern.

I never bother woth the gasket there... just a "circle" of silicone gasket making stuff, works a treat,

Jim - do you spread it, or just apply a bead? Should the bead be close to the edge or round about the middle of the 'gasket' area?

Any recommendation on what type of gasket maker? we can get Permatex (blue/black/red) here - I think the black one is the most oil resistant

Phil you may be right, unfortunately they just supplied the bare gaskets w/o packaging so I can't check numbers

Guest diesel_jim

I run it around the "outside", covering where the 6 bolts go though.

I use wynns (i think it is), yello can with an in built nozzle. instant silicone gasket sealer or something similar to that. black colour from my local auto parts place.

seems to work for me. most of the new stuff out of the LR gates has this kind of stuff on it instead of gaskets. i use it on the drive flanges too, and where the diff bolts into the axle.

and for the floor plates.

and water pump.

and transfer box PTO cover.

anywhere that moves really! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I see somebody else has had the sme problem.

I also ordered a rear stub axle and gasket for my 90 (1986 2 1/4 petrol). When I checked the two the gasket was larger than the recess in the stub axle that the axle casing fits into yet the bol holes lined ok i.e. that same scenario as yourself.

Upon contacting Paddock and describing the problem it was suggested that I had the wrong axle fitted to my 90 event though the two parts supplied to me that were supposed to fit together didn't. Not to be put off I took a number of photos and forwarded them Paddock (showing that the new stub axle did actually fit onto my axle) and followed up with a phone call; this time I was told that the parts manager had said that the gaskets supplied are the ones they always sell.

Now I understand that when a Landrover gets to 20 years or so old it is likely to have different parts fitted to it and that this can cause a bit of a headache for suppliers but I had hoped for a better response; especially as I had supplied a number of pictures so that they could actually see the new stub axle fitted to the axle casing and the gasket too big for the supplied stub axle.

Anyway, after much help form a local company (and my wife going into Landrover for me) we obtained the correct gasket.

I won't confess to be an expert, and will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but this is what I found out:

1. FTC3649 is the correct part number for the stub axle to axle casing gasket.

2. Since the local garage had to place a number of orders from different suppliers under that parts number until the right one was obtained it would seem as if there has been a production problem of some kind where the wrong gasket if being supplied for FTC3649.

From what I believe (and I may be wrong):

1. The larger gasket is actually part number FTC3648

2. It is fitted to the rear axle of early(?) range rovers.

I hope this helps.

Finally, seeing as this is my first post I must apologise to the administrator who has to vet the above; I shall try to keep the next few posts a little shorter.