Auto gearbox nerds required

Tom A

I happen to have acquired (through totally legitimate means, I hasten to add) two brand new ZF 6HP26s and a Mercedes W5A580. I am fairly confident that one of the ZFs is a Land Rover type box but I can't tell which and google has failed me - is anyone here suitably familiar with the ZF model numbers as to tell me which of the following it is?

Model number: 1068 010071 or 1068 010091

For extra special bonus points and the coveted "gearbox geek" award, does anyone know which Mercedes models the 722.654 model is used in?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Tom

For extra special bonus points and the coveted "gearbox geek" award, does anyone know which Mercedes models the 722.654 model is used in?

Tom

are you sure about the .654 ?

anyway.. this number does not match to any Mercedes car... from what I found on the Net so far... got plenty of other ref.. but not .654 !!!

example: http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Tranisite/mercedes.htm

I happen to have acquired (through totally legitimate means, I hasten to add) two brand new ZF 6HP26s and a Mercedes W5A580. I am fairly confident that one of the ZFs is a Land Rover type box but I can't tell which and google has failed me - is anyone here suitably familiar with the ZF model numbers as to tell me which of the following it is?

Model number: 1068 010071 or 1068 010091

Tom

Tom, what do you think the other ZF's from? A RWD car? AFAIK the ZF6 used on Land Rovers / Range Rovers doesn't use a divorced transfer box so it should be obvious which one looks like it bolts up to a transfer box.

I'm not sure if Ashcrofts will know about these boxes as they're still a bit new - all the vehicles with these gearboxes should still be covered by warrantees. Until they start to expire any problems will be dealt with by dealers....

Okay, I have a probable lead on the Mercedes box as being from a Vito van, which would explain why it doesn't show up on the car listings.

Pictures of the two ZF gearboxes:

010091.jpg 1068 010091

010071.jpg 1068 010071

Think one may be Land Rover spec and the other from a BMW?

No, I won't be trying to fit them in my 90, there's far too much electricity lurking in these new gearboxes - I'll leave it to someone with more knowledge of vehicle electrics to try, speaking of which, these boxes will be for sale if anyone's interested. I plan on fitting one of the super-duper spec 4HP22s we have lying around when I can get my hands on one!

P.S No, I don't know why the landlord thought carpeting the garage was a good idea :lol: