Series bulkhead alignment

Les Henson

Avoiding all the 'they are never that straight' type of jokes, does the bulkhead sit at 90deg to a straight line across the top of the chassis?

Ta muchly.

Les.

Hi Les.

I suppose it is ment to be like that, at least that is where I start from when I have to assemble a whole Series, then I fit the rear tub and get that adjusted so that the doors lign up and then the rest comes.

I have though never been able just to fit the bulkhead at 90deg and then fasten it there without having at the end to losen it up and move it a bit.

I do not know if it helps you, but it is my experince over close to 30 years.

Regards

Ole.

Avoiding all the 'they are never that straight' type of jokes, does the bulkhead sit at 90deg to a straight line across the top of the chassis?

Ta muchly.

Les.

Interesting question, ill keep an eye on the responses as well. Unfortunately i don't know the answer since i didn't check before i took my bulkhead off.

I am about (next weeks somewhere) to weld a new bulkhead outrigger onto my chassis. Just to avoid alignment problems i was thinking about cutting the new one in half and weld it onto the still good base of the old one. In addition i'll make a temp jig that fits the two bulkhead fixation holes before i cut up the old rigger, and use that jig for repositioning the new one.

Bas

Les,

Thainking about it the best reference point would be the the top of the rear tub underbody supports, as these would be 90 degrees to the bulkhead (within Landrover tolerances).

It's too dark to go out and look at the various chassis in the shed but as I recall the bulkhead rigger is plumb/straight to the chassis at that point.

I'm curious, why the question?

G.

I'm curious, why the question?

Ah well, I've been beavering away at the new chassis for catflap. It currently only has no front, rear, or gearbox crossmembers, no check strap mounts/brake pipe brackets, no shock mounts, battery tray, engine mounts. or exhaust mounts. I have the complete PAS system from a 1987 110V8 that I want to fit, but in order to make the mounts for the steering box I need to temporarily fit the bulkhead, steering column, and link rod in order to get the position right. I wasn't sure of the relationship between the bulkhead and chassis, so that's why I need to know.

Gratuitous blingy pictures :D

med_gallery_2_315_779063.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_274434.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_57335.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_411028.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_28115.jpg

Les. :)

Can anyone confirm for me whether all bulkheads for a particular series are identical ? I have only fitted two replacement bulkheads in my career and on both occasions couldn't get a satisfactory panel line up without tweaking the chassis outriggers. Somebody told me once that the bulkhead mounting points were spot welded in positiononce the bulkhead was fitted to the chassis to account for the fact that due to Rovers exacting manufacturing tolerances, no two chassis came out dimensionally the same.

Bill.

Ah well, I've been beavering away at the new chassis for catflap. It currently only has no front, rear, or gearbox crossmembers, no check strap mounts/brake pipe brackets, no shock mounts, battery tray, engine mounts. or exhaust mounts. I have the complete PAS system from a 1987 110V8 that I want to fit, but in order to make the mounts for the steering box I need to temporarily fit the bulkhead, steering column, and link rod in order to get the position right. I wasn't sure of the relationship between the bulkhead and chassis, so that's why I need to know.

Gratuitous blingy pictures :D

med_gallery_2_315_779063.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_274434.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_57335.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_411028.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_28115.jpg

Les. :)

Hi Les.

Uhm bling bling stuff you have there, I was out and about in the yard today and took some measures on a LWT a Serie swb and a Series lwb on all of them the bulkhead was square to the line off the small brackets that carries the load off the rear tub so I think it will be fine to use that as you guide.

Good luck

Ole.