Rules of the Plain

signia

So I can see the byways marked on Salisbury Plain, and assume that these are the OK areas to go on (when the flags aren't flying).

But I read somewhere on the net, can't find it now, that you can also go on any man made track or road?

Is this correct? Looking at the Plain on google earth, there are a lot of roads and tracks across the Plain which aren't mapped.

So what are the rules? What do you guys do?

And are there any particularly good areas to go on the Plain?

Cheers!

All the "Cat1" or "All weather" tracks are permissive byways when there are no flags being flown. They are, to all intents, no more interesting than roads though. Most or all of these routes are mapped as unfenced tracks on OS maps.

Other than that, get a good map and if you can a GPS and stick to the BOATs.

Good areas? Depends what you are looking for. If it is mud you are after then I would suggest Copehill down as being the best area.

Chris

Thanks.

I'll stick to the BOATs then. Going alone, so don't want to risk too much mud and get stuck! I've heard there are some great views of the countryside so hope to get some good pictures. I can see on the maps that there are some reasonably long BOATs around the outside of the Plain itself which I might explore too.

I'm testing out my memory-map software and gps this weekend for the first time, so I should be able to locate them easily enough. Got the explorer maps too.

Cheers.

Guest diesel_jim

tha plain is a great place to get some good views.

nice just to park up with a flask and a grot 4x4 magazine and chill out.

Take a camera.... you see all manner of stuff there, from nice wildlife to great bits of military kit.

All the "Cat1" or "All weather" tracks are permissive byways when there are no flags being flown. They are, to all intents, no more interesting than roads though. Most or all of these routes are mapped as unfenced tracks on OS maps.

Other than that, get a good map and if you can a GPS and stick to the BOATs.

Good areas? Depends what you are looking for. If it is mud you are after then I would suggest Copehill down as being the best area.

Chris

Cat 1 you say

"maybe I do have a use for the freelander racer" :P

Tin hat and running spring to mind

I should have said, be aware though that the Imber ranges (The western section of the SPTA) are pretty much off limits at all times, flags or no flags. The main roads through are opened once or twice a year. The byway that runs East-West along the Northern edge of the Imber ranges is always open though - but is pretty much a road.

Chris

I should have said, be aware though that the Imber ranges (The western section of the SPTA) are pretty much off limits at all times, flags or no flags.

I assume there are signs to tell you this though? I don't want to wander into no-man's land :)

Guest diesel_jim
Well Jim it's a good job they weren't out a couple of xmas's ago when we followed you round :D

It's great up there in the winter can't wait for this xmas break.

speeding.... moi.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

never..... :ph34r::ph34r:

i took a group out last saturday in the night, now that was good with all the mist specialy when i had fuel problems and gave the map to the rest of the group to go on ahead and i would catch them up :lol: :lol: :lol: kept my cb on just to listen to them getting lost :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, I'll be there Saturday though. Although not sure what time yet. I like Pux's idea of a night run.

We've done some "night laning" locally which is always more of a challenge - especially when you come to a big ford youy've not been to before and you can't see how deep it is - cue passengers hanging out of the window holding maglites above the water to see :D

If it's as pleasant an experience as I've heard, I'll make it a regular trip. It's only about 45mins to an hour away from me. Can't believe I've left it so long to visit!

Thanks for your replies guys. Looking forward to it.

Night Laning is always good fun, probably be out and about on sat aswell

I'll keep an eye out - the disco in your profile yes? Mine's a blue V8, with pistonheads logo on the wheel cover. Hope the rain eases off a little.

I'll keep an eye out - the disco in your profile yes? Mine's a blue V8, with pistonheads logo on the wheel cover. Hope the rain eases off a little.
The plains are not that water logged at the moment so you should be fine, just take the wd40 with you :P:lol: :lol: im usaully out and about with the dog just look out for a disco commercial with a union jack on the bonnet ;)