Winch wiring diagram

Hi,

Just installed an winch up front on my D90 (8274) But would like advice (diagram) on what i need to incorporate in the wiring it up, ie isolator switch, fuse type and rating etc? Basically anything needed to install a winch safely.

I am intending to move the solenoid (albright) into the engine bay incased in a waterproof box, with an in cab controll panel and a standard remote lead aswell.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

If you give the tech section a look you'll find the Albrights wiring diagram Ralph had posted for me time ago.

As to the other stuff I did it but can't explain!

:blink:

Someone will pop in and do it

:rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim

Moving the solenoid into the engine bay is no problem. you just need to lengthen the 4 cables to the motor (A, F1, F2 and the earth)

The solenoid will fit really neatly behind the windscreen washer bracket so is well protected and easy to get to the terminals.

To cut out the winch, get yourself a decent HD cut off switch. the ones with the red removable keys are OK at a push, but not very sturdy. i got mine from Craddocks ages ago (it was a camel trophy one) but any decent one shoud do.

the in cab switch is easy too... there are 3 terminals on the allbright, (power +ve to the switch, and then "in" and "out") so a length of decent 3 core will do the job nicely (household mains 3 core is fine as there is only about 5 amps current on it). run a length to the cab, and a length to the front of the vehicle. piggyback the cables onto the solenoid (ie green and green together,brown and brown etc)

in the cab you can have an on-off-on momentary toggle switch (momentary as you want it to ping back to the middle "off" position when you let go, not stay on and keeping winching!)

at the front you'll need to attach the 3 core to the old socket that /was/ on the relay control box attached to the motor of the winch. you can either a) keep the control box,now empty, bolted to the motor, or B) drill a hole through the wing and fit the socket to that, like i did on Andy's 90 here

make sure you solder and shrink wrap the connections, or use crimp on terminals and tape them up, as once corrosion gets in, you'll have all manner of problems! and make sure you get a proper crimper and lugs for the winch main power leads. use at least 35mm cable too, to carry the load.

any probs, drop me a PM.

if you're local to Swindon i'll even give you a hand! B)

Cheers for the advice, i had a good idea what to do. But had the feeling that i may be just missing something!

Just got to finish Fabricating the bumper and then its tie to get it up and running :D

Don't bother with the red key switches. I've burnt mine out pretty swiftly and have had problems with them in the past when they fail to hold contact.

Don't bother with the red key switches. I've burnt mine out pretty swiftly and have had problems with them in the past when they fail to hold contact.

What would you recommend? The durite model like previously mentioned or?