power steering feeling heavy

sotal

If the belt is a bit too loose will the power steering go heavier? Also can it cause the steering to judder.

I know my belt isn't tight enough as when I came to put the tension on using the 1/2 inch ratchet on the idler arm, the socket on the arm crumbled away to dust, so I had to guess how tight.

Since then the powersteering sometimes judders a bit first thing in the morning espicially when braking and today it felt heavier.

Does this sound to be related - is it normal to do that when it's a bit slack?

I must get round to ordering a new arm, and pulley (it's the one at the top I think it's the aircon idler)

I have a friend with a <tdi 300 auto and her steering was getting heaving and a bit graunchy - when I checked the pas fluid level was low so we bought a bottle (1ltr I think) and put almosy ALL of it in the pas reservoir!!

There can't have been hardly any fluid in the system, no obvious leaks, a bit of misting on the pipes but nothing horrendous. Was serviced by professionals (the robbers) 6 weeks ago!!

After that I checked the air filter and guess what, it (the filter) now resides in an auto musiam, the thing was prehistoric !!!

Professional eh, we know best - like hell you do.

I have a friend with a <tdi 300 auto and her steering was getting heaving and a bit graunchy - when I checked the pas fluid level was low so we bought a bottle (1ltr I think) and put almosy ALL of it in the pas reservoir!!

There can't have been hardly any fluid in the system, no obvious leaks, a bit of misting on the pipes but nothing horrendous. Was serviced by professionals (the robbers) 6 weeks ago!!

After that I checked the air filter and guess what, it (the filter) now resides in an auto musiam, the thing was prehistoric !!!

Professional eh, we know best - like hell you do.

ive had this problem with ordering via motor factors ,

they sent me a defender type filter instead of a panel filter twice when i had asked them for the panel filter