Roof Racks on a Dsicovery

Mark

I think I might be in the market for a roofrack for my Disco, so wondered if anyone had any experience of any specifically - good, bad or indifferent?

I think that a roof length one is what I am after - ie one that covers the whole roof, rather than just the bit before or after the hump.

This is not the put a roof tent on, so I think one with built up sides would be better too.

Pictures of diferent types would also be appreciated - I am still doing the thinking and really havn't made my mind up yet...

If anyone has one for sale, I could well be interested too.

Any info opinions or offers gratefully received. ;)

Cheers

Mark

ive been looking for one of these for a long long time mark, but the restrictive thing i seem to be finding is the price. I need one, but i dont 400 quids worth of need one if ya get me.

actually at the point now where i think i might build one, probably using some cheap ebay roof bars as a starting point, an inch box base frame and bend 5+mm bar/wire and weld to create the basket-like sides, or use more box for squared sides, depending on what i want. would like to be able to put a spare up there, couple jerry cans, few ropes and strops. but it would be great to carry my kite buggy, bikes, whatever and has to accomodate my amber light bar and beacons

i figured when you can only carry 75kg on the roof including the weight of the roof rack, that would be more than sufficient, but im gonna start a new topic in tools and fab, see if anyone else has made one that doesnt weigh too much

jim

rember if you have roof rack on wind noise is a big pain more so then tyres noise. i have allways used SDV trade racks in clitheroe they will make them to any design. had one on a srries 3 which came over the bonnet about 15ft long.

swanny

post-3689-1194305196_thumb.jpgI made mine from some old angle iron I had lying around. The beauty of it is you can modify/add to it whenever you want without worrying about it.

Mine fits only just above the roof to keep the height down and has two collapsable upright bars for securing timber or canoes to etc. It works a treat.

The latest mod is the canvas at the back which rolls out and is supported by a fold out arm to give an awning for getting the kelly kettle on the go!!

post-3689-1194305196_thumb.jpgI made mine from some old angle iron I had lying around. The beauty of it is you can modify/add to it whenever you want without worrying about it.

Mine fits only just above the roof to keep the height down and has two collapsable upright bars for securing timber or canoes to etc. It works a treat.

The latest mod is the canvas at the back which rolls out and is supported by a fold out arm to give an awning for getting the kelly kettle on the go!!

looks great that tony. think i will make my own after all.

do you have any plans/measurements for it still?

and can i ask what you did for the clamps/legs. that's been a subject of much musing on my part

cheers

jim

I am liking the idea of keeping the height down, but I think for my purposes having sides on the rack would be required. The simplicity of that rack is superb though. Any more pictures of the legs/clamps?

I actually have a small rack that I aquired, minus the mounting legs, as they were bent on a laning expedition, so it may be that I modify that with some new, lower profile legs. Problem is, I want to be able to attach something along the full length of the roof...

Mo, There is something in the planning stages at the moment... ;)

Cheers

Mark

I have one thats for sale. It's a full length Australian Tradesman version. It has support all along the gutter lenth and mounting tabs for roof lights. It's not light but it has served me well in Australia, Russia, Morroco and Libya. I have never mounted a roof tent on it as I don't really like them. I also have a roof bag for it. this is basically a heavy duty canvas bag with zip up sides. Tie it on the roof rack, put your stuff inside and zip up the sides. It keep the dust and rain out.

PM me if you want pictures.

Rgds

Ivan