1,200 miles non-stop?

Bit of a general mechanical question.

Got a 1,200 mile journey to do in a short space of time. 2 people driving in shifts, good sleeping seat, 300 litres fuel capacity so other than an occaisional toilet break and leg stretch there's no obviously reason to stop.

But what's best for the truck mechanically ? My guess is continual running and a low-stress driving style is the best way to go, but is that really the case? Does an engine need rest? Any thoughts?

(2.8 international engined def 110 with 700kg trailer.)

we do 1200 milers on a regular basis, 2 drivers (each driving for a tank while the other sleeps), give it an oil change before you go but thats about it..... the engine will be happy because it gets to a running temperature, stays there and has less start stops - I wouldnt worry, you're more likely to have a paddy with each other about whats being played on the stereo and who ate the last of the jaffa cakes than the motor worrying about what driving style you're using :)

I wouldnt worry, you're more likely to have a paddy with each other about whats being played on the stereo and who ate the last of the jaffa cakes than the motor worrying about what driving style you're using :)

mmmm Jaffa ca-a-akes shhlluuurrrppp :P (we could do with some Simpsons emoticons)

Engines like constant low-load running - remember the Merc on Top Gear that had done (IIRC) 1.2 million miles? Spent ten years doing lo-o-ong commutes, with regular oil changes...

I'd check the wheel bearings, do an oil change, and check all fluids.

A lot of my 90's mileage is 200 mile runs, i know i know, not 1.2k, but I still do a fluid check before setting off, I quite like getting settled and just cruising for 3 or 4 hours, I've got plenty of music to choose from too, that helps. 45L of fuel slows things down a bit though.