Coolant / Cutting Fluid

Astro_Al

I seem to remember hearing that soluable fluids can lead to corrosion problems on machines.....?

We used them for at least 20 years at the tech college and had no apparent problems. They do need changing routinely as bacterial buildup will cause problems ... and a nasty stink :blink: There are nice, expensive additives that help ...

AndyG

Hi,

I got some from Hallet Oils mail order. He was very helpful and has different cutting fluids for differnt applications etc.

The main risk with static water in warm ish environments is legionaires desease. You are ment to check the concentration every week with a refrectometer and check the PH (houl b just above 7 I think?). Then every 6 months chenge the coolant out, including flushing with a anti bacterial/disinfectant type fluid.

In the real world I think you just need to remeber to change out at an appropriate frequency.

Adrian

Well, since I'm asking lots of stupid questions today, here's another one: what about adding something like bleach or domestos or some anti-bacterial agent (cheapo!)?

Would it affect the cutting too much (by what, friction coefficient, causing slippage?)?

Cheers, Al.

Castrol UK in Swindon Wilts might be worth calling?

Castrol HysolG is the cutting fluid name. A solubable oil concentrate, for general purpose material removal.

We use it on all ferrous/non ferrous materials. Conventional and CNC based machines use it with no problems. No corrosion problems it would seem? More like the water dissapates and leave the oil content behind.

http://www.engineeringtalk.com/news/cst/cst000.html