8274 winch drum...

simon red90

so then, to those of you who have bought one and seen both, aside the obvious diameter difference what are the differences between the gigglepin upgrade drum and the standard warn jobbie?

cos for what its worth, i'm just gonna get some 2.5" tube and weld it in all nice and straight?

someone please tell me i'm missing something?

so then, to those of you who have bought one and seen both, aside the obvious diameter difference what are the differences between the gigglepin upgrade drum and the standard warn jobbie?

cos for what its worth, i'm just gonna get some 2.5" tube and weld it in all nice and straight?

someone please tell me i'm missing something?

Whilst you are doing it put stronger side's on, I have 8mm plate but 6mm would do mine are 3" longer and the drum dia is 2.5" also have a sealed roller bearing on end.

Peter

I'm picking up the new drum to my rear 8074 at the weekend (12" x 2") . You could go tube although they have been known to bend so billet is a better option.

A sealed roller bearing in the endplate is a good move - this is one of the reasons I'm using an 8274 endplate. There's nothing off the shelf that fits so you've either got to make up a collar to go into the endplate (large diameter and very thin) or weld the surface and remachine it. My end plate's had the latter done although the metal for the endplate's very poor so its a pig of a job. Thanks again to the very nice man who did it for me!

Don't want to get dragged into this........

However i must advise againist the use of billet (Solid bar)

As we have had now three drums sent to us by home built by different people using billet that have bent, not a lot, but they have bent. One was standard length the others extended.

As i am sure someone will point out that that it depends on material etc......

But it is just a useful bit of info :)

Jim

Don't want to get dragged into this........

However i must advise againist the use of billet (Solid bar)

As we have had now three drums sent to us by different people using billet that have bent, not a lot, but they have bent one was standard length the others extended.

As i am sure someone will point out that that it depends on material etc......

But it is just a useful bit of info :)

Jim

If you use the right tube there will be no problems, just dont go and use some cheap mild steel! I cant see the point in using billet, its just extra weight in the wrong place ;)

ive got a gigglepin drum, ive not had any problems, the rope will snap way before the drum bends!

The 2.5" diameter drum makes a huge diffrence, with one layer on the drum the winch will stall at around 11000lbs (guestimate, using a bit of maths!)

I'm picking up the new drum to my rear 8074 at the weekend (12" x 2") . You could go tube although they have been known to bend so billet is a better option.

A sealed roller bearing in the endplate is a good move - this is one of the reasons I'm using an 8274 endplate. There's nothing off the shelf that fits so you've either got to make up a collar to go into the endplate (large diameter and very thin) or weld the surface and remachine it. My end plate's had the latter done although the metal for the endplate's very poor so its a pig of a job. Thanks again to the very nice man who did it for me!

You could always make your own end plate?

Mark

I bet welding that pooh was fun Tonk :o

its not the best of material, it probably didn't help that it was so ingrained with dirt etc. personally i think its a nicer way of doing it rather thamn a very thin collar, but obviously u need to be able to weld ali and then machine it out afterwards :)

cool - whats the torque output of the motors Chris?

Ive just done a few calculations, asuming that warns HP output are rated around 5600 rpm like the bow motors.

The 4.6hp motor at 5600rpm is producing 52.8 inch/lb's of torque.

The 6hp XP warn at 5600 rpm is producing 70ft inch/lbs of torque.

Thats only based on Warns HP figure's thought!!

So if you multipy 70 inch/lb torque by the warns 8274 gear ratio of 134:1 that gives 9380 inch/lb torque at the drum with a drum speed of 41rpm!

Obviously ive missed something or have Warn been a little ambitious with there motor HP ratings?

Has anyone got a graph with torque, power and speed of a 12v warn winch motor?

Ive just done a few calculations, asuming that warns HP output are rated around 5600 rpm like the bow motors.

The 4.6hp motor at 5600rpm is producing 52.8 inch/lb's of torque.

The 6hp XP warn at 5600 rpm is producing 70ft inch/lbs of torque.

Thats only based on Warns HP figure's thought!!

So if you multipy 70 inch/lb torque by the warns 8274 gear ratio of 134:1 that gives 9380 inch/lb torque at the drum with a drum speed of 41rpm!...................

blah blah blah, yeah yeah smart arse!!

call me stupid, but i figure, if it can pull me out of a world of ****, it works. if not, it doesnt!

We did it recently but talking to some motor manufacturers before we chat with the winch manufacturers and then publish the results for all eyes to see.

Very interesting both good and bad.

Lara.

P.S.

There is an old adage that says, "don't copy something unless you know Why it is better, not just thinking blindly that it is"

And if you knew why, you probably would not need to ask on a forum.

If you use the right tube there will be no problems, just dont go and use some cheap mild steel! I cant see the point in using billet, its just extra weight in the wrong place ;)

The same applies to billet regarding materials ;) Yes, there's a little extra weight but its easier for an 8074 as it allows you to make a 1 peice drum centre with a pair of endplates. Also have at think about the wall thickness of tube you'll need for a longer narower drum.

Do you know the weight of your solid drum? In my mind solid is just overkill, you could at least make an effort to smoke a hole through the middle.

With regards to power figures: My suggestion is not to let the truth in the way of a good winch discussion, otherwise we will cut the discussion short and we wont have anything to talk about. Damn, I had to many beers!

PTO

Mine is from billet and bearing No FAG 6012, need to turn a small amount from end plate bearing OD 110mm and also from end of drum 60mm bearing is 20mm wide and sealed.

Peter