Best Method for Welding in Repair Panels?

Fatboy

Morning!,

I've recently bought a '61 2a that needs a lot of work :lol:

The chassis is totally shot so I've got a new galvanised one and am in the process of stripping the old vehicle down.

The bulkhead has a lot of typical corrosion on the O/S and someone has obviously repaired the N/S previously.

I was thinking that the best way to repair it woud be to try and use the old chassis points as a guide / jig. Remove the screen to reduce the weight and probably tack some additional support to hold the bits in shape while I cut off the door pillar and footwell. I'd then tack the various bits in place before transferring to the new chassis, make sure I can get the main bolts in then buzz it up.

What is the best method for joining old to new? Should I try to cut everything out so that new pieces butt in and seam weld it or should I try and leave overlaps where possible and stitch both sides?

Any tips are more than welcome, many thanks.

Marcus,

I'm keen to try and repair it rather than simply replace it as it gives me a chance to actually practice and gain a bit of confidence with my welding etc. In my opinion, its not beyond repair anyway - top corners must have been done in the past as they are solid and healthy ! :)

I repaired/rebuilt the bulkhead for catflap. Both door pillars (top and bottom), both footwells, top corners (by the hinges/vents), and a few holes here and there. Where you can see the bulkhead on the outside of the vehicle, then a plate inserted in a same-shape hole is best as it becomes invisible with careful use of a flap wheel and thin layer of filler. Some places it isn't possible to do this and indeed not necessary unless you are particularly picky :D

Plates on top of the old metal always show an edge unless you are particularly skilled at this sort of thing.

med_gallery_2_125_103291.jpg

med_gallery_2_125_11175.jpg

But then this one was pretty bad.

med_gallery_2_125_236801.jpg

I just laid the bulkhead on a flat surface and used careful measurement and a big square to make sure nothing was out of place.

Only the bottom and back of the footwells were rotten so I cut out just the bit that needed replacing.

med_gallery_2_315_152563.jpg

Careful clamping and measuring for the pillars.

med_gallery_2_315_237188.jpg

The red is seam sealer.

med_gallery_2_315_187346.jpg

Fine grit blast and etch prime, then hi-build primer.

med_gallery_2_315_215441.jpg

Several top coats - allowing drying between each coat.

med_gallery_2_315_186829.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_76018.jpg

It's not quite as good as it looks. I used gas welding, so there is some distortion and the plates I did on the top corners are on the outside, so the welds notice too. For restoration work you need to think ahead to what the job will look like when it's finished.

You can always grind off and try again.... :o

Les.

Good tips... Les, mine is no where near as bad as yours was. I've welded a new door post on and will tack the bottom bracket before stripping off the old chassis and mounting on new. Then I can make sure the bolts line up before buzzing in the footwell etc.

Thanks again..