Transfer problem

goaty

Hey all,

I have just finished fitting a new front axle and transfer box to my 90 and after all the problems along the way i have a big problem now its driving again.

Its a D90 and i have put in a Disco transfer but theres a real Clunk when you begin to reverse and changing gear if not really careful ith the releasing of the clutch.

I am not sure on what its name is but i shall try to descripe. Where the input shaft goes into the transfer box, it slides through a chunky metal sleave which has the input gear inside it which runs from the input shaft. Think its called input gear but anyway i think its nackered. When changing gear unless being very careful it really clunks in or if you go to reverse as you release the clutch it clunks as drive is passed through it, not a nice clunk either.

You cant see any movement at all underneath so it must be the box, i didn't have thsi problem with my old Transfer box.

Can anyone help me and tell em how to remove it so i can change it for my old one just so i can drive it again???? or should i look for another transfer box??

thanks in advance

Take the PTO cover off (back of the LT230), slide the gear out and slide in the new cross-drilled one.

Sounds like worn splines on the input shaft or gear, did you have any clunking before the box was changed? As fridge freezer says, take off the pto cover and pull out the input gear. Check the splines on the input shaft and inside the gear. If your disco Tbox came out of an early high miler, the wear on the gear splines will be obvious. Later boxes had a cross drilled gear which stopped the splines fretting away. If your shaft splines are OK a replacement cross drilled gear is a cheap and easy replacement and should cure the problem.

If there is nothing obvious wrong, check your A frame ball joint, gives a loud clunk on taking up drive when worn.

thanks for the replies,

I have got the back cover plate off but i cant see how to pull the gear out, seems pretty solid.

Can anyone tell me where i am going wrong?

thanks

You may need to put the gearbox & transfer box into neutral and rotate the gear a few times before the gears spin round and line up so you can pull it out.

Chock the wheels, let the hand brake off, and put it in neutral and as you pull the input gear - wiggle the handbrake drum to and fro. The gear sometimes comes of dead easy and other times it takes a while. You should use your old input gear or replace with a new cross-drilled one if your's isn't.

Les.