Home made .... sills/rock sliders?

stuntman

Hello one and all, I'm just starting to plan my projects for the weekend after next (front bumper this weekend!).

Has anyone got any inof regarding what size box section and what length i would need to replace my sills?

I'll be looking at putting in jacking points and possibly tree sliders in time.

When i do the front bumper and the sills I'll try to take as many photo's as possible and note the sizes and where I make cuts, along with a price list and time summary, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone

Andi K

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a load of dimensions for 90 sills... could easily be modified for a 110/disco etc.

Give me half an hour and i'll upload them as a tech article.

I made my own rocksliders for catflap (swb S3) 100x50x3mm box section, 5mm tabs for the bulkhead bolt, longer bulkhead bolts and hi-tensile steel, 2mm brackets to attach to the fuel tank outriggers, ends capped-off with 3mm plate, and angled to follow the curve of the arch.

med_gallery_2_28_393580.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_51052.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_262952.jpg

Les. :)

• Like 1

Well side one done, it's taken for ever and I've burnt my hand, note to self ALWAYS wear gloves , I take it back, 1400mm is ideal, I'll post pics tomorrow night or throughout the week, I'm pretty pleased with it but I've had to do alot of other welding. I found I diidn't really have a passenger footwell

Oh well, I'm off to the shower!

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about making rock sliders for my 90, but i thought it might affect my ability to get my MOT,

i mean, will it pass its MOT ok if you have made them yourself?

are there rules and regs i need to follow whilst fabricating them?

cheers

chris.

Les are you sure abut that. When I had my cage made it had to fit inside the dims of the wheel spats not the mirrors. But that was C&U regs. Not sure if the same rule applys over to MOT rules, no reason why not or I could of had a cage well outside my veh and could then eliminate any damage.

I don't want to start the MOT/C&U regs thing again but I think it would need some investigation by the relevant partys before they start constructing sliders

Standard fitment side steps stick out further than rock sliders with or without brush bars on, so you would be staying within the manufacturers stated max vehicle width. I would have thought that C&U regs cover attachment (security of), danger to the public, alternation to the structure of the vehicle and it's geometry.

Les.

and those ones above ^ ^ make good side steps when not off roading

i need to find out for definate before i go and weld some peices of box to the side of my 90.

Checked with the minestry regs, and any the rules are very vaugue as always, I have been reliably informed so long as they are inside the wing mirror dimensions there should be case to argue.

They won't be very big at all just enough to be a side step and act as a tree slider.

This is part of my over christmas plans along with a body lift and suspension lift :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, the perfect size to just slip in is 60x120x1400 I used 3mm, I angled the ends slightly and welded plates to either end to seal the tube,

Ome word of warning is be sure to expect alot more rust than you can see, I chopped out most of the passenger footwell and I still need to repair the drivers side.

They have been a great improvement and I've jacked the car up a couple of time by them -_-