Head Gasket

daya

Just a question , Before i go for the obvious is there any thing else anyone can think of that would cause a pressure build up in the system,loose small amount of water ,and heater goes hot and cold,air out of bleed screw on top hose. TD5 T plate Discovery.

ello daya

worth thinking about removing your thermostat ,

if it's faulty and staying closed it will cause pressure build up giving similar fault to head gasket

it's worth a try as under a greater pressure you will loose water from any joint or hose clip or hose

hope this helps roy

daya

just a quick add-on to earlier post

when i had my td5 1999-v it had a habit of switching between hot and cold from the heaters

i was told this was a common fault on the td5 as the heater control was operated by electronics ,

now running a 300 so you may get some better feedback from td5 owners as to this being true or weather i was being fed

bull**** from the garage i bought it from just trying to run down my warrenty and aviod doing the job

cheers roy

just had a thought on my way home that if thermostat was sticking open the engine would over heat,This reminded me of the temp gauge -When you drive the temp stays on cool then suddenly it flies up to what i believe to be correct temp it never creeps up like normal car !! Is this usual with TD5's or an oddity ?

I agree , also to get to much pressure in the system the engine would have to over heat ,running at normal temp with therm closed you should not get excess pressure in the system .

Looks like a duck,Quacks like a duck ,its a duck (Will have to change the head gasket) :(

I agree , also to get to much pressure in the system the engine would have to over heat ,running at normal temp with therm closed you should not get excess pressure in the system .

Looks like a duck,Quacks like a duck ,its a duck (Will have to change the head gasket) :(

Just an update if anyone has same problem ;

Have changed the thermostat and all seems fine ,

Thinking about the problem , If you had a head gasket blowing the pressure in the system would keep on building up and up until something blew eg,resevoir cap / pipe ect ,this did not happen on mine all you could see was that the water level had dropped but when you removed the cap the water returned to normal,What must have been happening was that the water was being pumped through the engine and the heater that is why the temp gauge jumped up very quickly to normal running temp in effect the engine was getting very hot. (how it did not over heat i do not know as i have done probably 2000 miles in this condition)

The question is did the water boil turn to steam causing an air lock which caused the pump to suck water out of resevoir ,not sure if boiling water in water causes steam,

Anyway she runs fine and heater works as it should and temp rises gradualy

Hope this can help someone in need.