No Power 300tdi

Dalai Lama

Hi

I have a 300tdi 1994 defender. Over the past year there has been a noticeable power loss from the engine. I had a big intercooler fitted and the landy would fly along. Now I am struggling to get more than 65 mph on the motorway and up hills I can only go in 1st gear

I replaced the turbo as the blades were bent. No difference in power. I tested the cylinders and all of equal pressure. I then had the fuel lift pump replaced and the injection pump rebuilt. Still no power

The turbo does whistle a little at hi revs, but so did the replacement one

Any ideas

Ashley

Hi

I have a 300tdi 1994 defender. Over the past year there has been a noticeable power loss from the engine. I had a big intercooler fitted and the landy would fly along. Now I am struggling to get more than 65 mph on the motorway and up hills I can only go in 1st gear

I replaced the turbo as the blades were bent. No difference in power. I tested the cylinders and all of equal pressure. I then had the fuel lift pump replaced and the injection pump rebuilt. Still no power

Any ideas

Ashley

Check for air in the fuel line... Splice some transparent fuel hose in between the fuel filter and injection pump. If you can see air bubbles in the fuel line you have found your explanation.

Both 200Tdi and 300Tdi can tolerate a small amount of air in the fuel line, but too much affect the power output in a serious way...

One more thing to check could be your fuel lift (low pressure) pump... A failed low pressure pump can actually (in some rare cases) block (or partly block) the fuel line...

If none of the above....

Remove the cover off the diaphragm (four flat head screws).

Remove the diaphragm - but mark its current position first.

Look down the tube (where you've just took the diaphragm out of) and move the lever on the injector pump to give full throttle.

You should see the pin (that works of the diaphragm to control fuel on/off boost) pop out.

If it doesn’t' then you've found the cause of the problem...

If it does, using a small screwdriver, push the pin back in.

If it doesn't bung some WD40 down inside the tube, and keep trying.... if that doesn't work, then you need to do a bit more stripping (not your clothes!!!)

Also... check the pipe that goes from the turbo to the diaphragm - they do have a habit of splitting.

Ian

You should see the pin (that works of the diaphragm to control fuel on/off boost) pop out.

Had this on my 200tdi. So seized was it, that I couldn't get the diaphragm out. Ended up sending the IP off to a re-conditioner.

Performance was transformed when I got it back a day later. :D

Thanks All

There is occassionally some blue smoke which lasts for about 30 secs

The fuel filter, lift pump and air filter have been changed

I'll have a look at air in the fuel line etc and i'll get back to you all

Thanks again for your help and hope to catch up with you all at one of GBMUDs off road adventures

Ashley

Hi

Any ideas

Ashley

Thanks Les

There is no EGR fitted to the turbo, it the arly 1994 which didnt have the EGR

Regards

Ashley

Hi

Any ideas

Ashley

I've also got an early 1994 300tdi and asked this question a short while ago. I didn't feel terribly convinced to go that route if the opportunity ever presented itself.

But, if you do chose it, please let us know the results.

Jim Attrill is testing the head off the 2.8TGV unit on a 300Tdi and could be selling the head if it all works. Might be an idea to chat with him too.