Chassis numbers

Hi, could someone tell me what size stamp set is needed to put a chassis number on a new chassis? Thanks.

The manufacturers use their own size / font - new vehicles are done by machine rather than by hand. There is no set size for aftermarket - I'd suggest going for something with characters about 5mm high.

Matt

If you are talking about something similar to that which Land Rover used on a Series 2, say, then you need letters / numbers at least 3/8" (10mm) high.

The thought occurs, probably unfailrly, that if you are doing this you should have an old chassis with number that you are replacing.

If you look at the photographs here you can compare the size of the number on the chassis with the size of the hole in the hanger and cross-referencing these with the same hole on your chassis should give you an idea.

What year / style of Land Rover are you replicating? The Early 90 of your name?, Disco, Series, Defender? etc.

The answer to your question may vary depending on the style of Land Rover you are working on.

HTH

Guest diesel_jim

To be honest, i wouldn't bother stamping it in... get youself a nice bit of ali plate engraved and rivet it to the brake master cylinder and/or the side of the seat box.

if you start to try stamping your own numbers in the chassis, should the boys in blue start poking around, it looks more suspicious than if you just say " i changed the chassis and heres the new plates i had made up"

Thanks for all the replies.I have a new Richards chassis and i want to stamp the chassis no. in the correct place and the correct size. My old chassis was on the floor of someones workshop last time i saw it and is now probably in China.

To be honest, i wouldn't bother stamping it in... get youself a nice bit of ali plate engraved and rivet it to the brake master cylinder and/or the side of the seat box.

I want to do it for security reasons,i also intend to stamp it in at least two other places known only to me.

if you start to try stamping your own numbers in the chassis, should the boys in blue start poking around, it looks more suspicious than if you just say " i changed the chassis and heres the new plates i had made up"

I agree if i make a hash of it but a properly stamped in no. directly on the chassis rail has got to look more genuine than a transferable plate or no number at all, i think. I have all the paperwork too Jim.

you can get genuine blank chassis vin plates off ebay

The original vin plate is intact and in place under the bonnet,i only want to stamp the chassis no. onto a new chassis so it looks `factory`

When i did mine, i think they were about 8 - 10mm from memory

Cheers, What font?

only joking,i`ll measure up before ordering my stamps, thanks again.

John.