clutch master cylinder/pedal assy

Hi all,

didnt want my first post to ask for help but alas I have no choice,

just getting into the land rover/ off road thing after realising my 06 L200 warrior is not tool the I require for my shooting/lamping needs but is fine for my business use (metal fabrication)

so I have just got myself a 84 land rover 90 which I am looking to convert from 2.5 n/a diesel to 200tdi,

however driving it today the clutch pedal went straight to floor and would barely disengage

then I had no pedal at all it work a little if left for a bit but nothing to speak off so I tried to blead it off and no fluid was being pushed thry so I asumed it was the master cylinder so to my question,

where can I get one same day? should I buy new or second hand and how much?

I live in Crewkerne Somerset if that helps

p.s I have read most of the threads ref later pedal assemblies but to be fair pedal weight on mine so far hasnt been an issue.

Finaly anyone local to me with engine swap knowledge that requires welding tig or mig or lessons I am sure a deal could be struck Ill scratch your back and all that.

hope to hang around this forum for a while and maybee even get involved

Thanks

Tom

Exeter 4x4 are probably your best bet to get parts from, the guys know what their talking about & quite a few on here use them. buy a new master & slave cylinder, don't bother with 2nd hand stuff for the clutch hydraulics.

when you get around to fitting a Discovery 200Tdi, you won't have to do any welding of engine mounts, the 200Tdi will just drop straight on to the existing mounts, lots of info about fitting a 200Tdi into a 90 in the tech archive.

welcome to LR4x4 :D & Please read/comply with the pinned info at the top of the Defender Forum thread lists.

Hi Tom,

Welcome :)

You'll need to replace the master and slave together as the increased pressure from the new master cylinder will pop the seals very quickly on the old slave.

No need to change the pedal to change the master cylinder but it is so much easier if you remove the pedal assy from the vehicle.

HTH

Mo

I totally agree about replacing master & slave cylinders at the same time as I have experienced first hand the failure of one shortly after replacing the other. Don't forget the flexible hose as well.

If you really need it same day have you tried a motor-factors, most promise same-day supply of such items?

As for fitting it isn't a problem, even single-handed you should have it all done in less than 2-hours.

Bleeding is also a doddle even if you are single-handed and don't have something like an Ezibleed (I have one but don't use it on the clutch). I have found that on the clutch system, just opening the bleed-nipple on the slave cylinder and allowing the fluid to run through is sufficient. If after doing this there is air present, this will naturally rise to the master cylinder after a couple of depressions of the clutch peddle.

Done this several times now and it has never failed to work first time.