Megasquirt help needed...

Hendrik

So...

We are converting the 3.9 V8 to megasquirt and Edis but facing some problems. wiring has been done, coilpacks and VR sensor installed, ecu installed etc. engine is turning but not good at all.

I've been reading Nige's topic but still not clear (sorry Nige...)

The biggest problem is that we don't really know the program, what we should check, where to begin, etc.

Via a friend I got in touch with someone who worked with megasquirt 1 a while ago but due to a lack of time he's unable to help us. I asked him if he knew someone else who works with megasquirt in Belgium or Holland but apparently nobody is using it over here...

What I'm looking for now is someone who wants to show us the basic things of the program, how it works, what to do, and someone who can help us tune the engine.

So you probably feel what where I'm going to:

I'm looking for someone who would like to come over to Belgium one of the next weekends (the sooner the better)? I live close to Brussels and there is a very good connection with london (within 2 hours). I will order you a ticket and will pay your hours, you can sleep @ my place, etc

I really hope someone can help me...

Best regards and thanks in advance!

Hendrik

Forgot to mention,

Already asked Mr. Fridge but unfortunatly he has no time to come over, but still thanks a lot for all your support!

I'll try to explain the whole story tomorrow morning, but still if someone wants to come over, I would be very happy with his assistance!

Hendrik,

I dont have the free time right now to come over to Holland and help you .....................but....................

If you tell us the problems then I am sure that we can help you via this forum and via email.................

My engine is also a 3.9 so I have a working MSQ parameter file that you can use to get the engine running ....................

Starting with the basics ..............

You need to download the latest version of MS firmware...........

You then need to load this into your ECU.................

Then you need to load a known good MSQ (parameter file) into the ECU............

Then you start the engine and the final tuning begins ..................

Believe me ................. it really is that simple.....................

:)

Ian

Hendrik,

I dont have the free time right now to come over to Holland and help you .....................but....................

If you tell us the problems then I am sure that we can help you via this forum and via email.................

My engine is also a 3.9 so I have a working MSQ parameter file that you can use to get the engine running ....................

Starting with the basics ..............

You need to download the latest version of MS firmware...........

You then need to load this into your ECU.................

Then you need to load a known good MSQ (parameter file) into the ECU............

Then you start the engine and the final tuning begins ..................

Believe me ................. it really is that simple.....................

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that. last wednesday I downloaded the latest megatune version and since then I am unable to connect to the ecu. any idea what that could be?

That one's easy - you need to run Configurator (MegaTune -> File -> Configurator) and change the CODE_VARIANT settings (Car1 {or whatever you use} -> Settings.ini -> Settings -> CODE_VARIANT -> select from the menu) so that it matches the version that is in your ECU (for example, MSNS_EXTRA "James Murray and Phil Ringwood's MSnS extensions"). If your ECU code is a lot newer than your copy of MegaTune, see if there's an update for that you can download.

I am working on a MegaTune guide which I will post soon, it might be a bit long :unsure: but hopefully it'll be useful - just taken a screen-shot of every single settings screen in MegaTune :blink:

. If your ECU code is a lot newer than your copy of MegaTune, see if there's an update for that you can download.

I am working on a MegaTune guide which I will post soon, it might be a bit long :unsure: but hopefully it'll be useful - just taken a screen-shot of every single settings screen in MegaTune :blink:

Looking forward to that guide!

Apparently I'm using V3 PCB running MegaSquirt'n'Spark-Extra firmware, so which megatune I need? I downloaded the one from DIYautotune MegaTune 2.25 P1.

When I open it I chose MS2 extra 1.0.2.

when I go to the configurator, MS2 extra ->Settings.ini->setting->Code_variant->I indeed have selected "MSNS_EXTRA "James Murray and Phil Ringwood's MSnS extensions"

Doing something wrong on this? Let's hope I'll find out how to solve.

Then, next step to load the correct msq? Ian, is your msq available online? how can you load this msq in the system?

rgds

H.

It would help if you don't abbreviate things:

When I open it I chose MS2 extra 1.0.2.

Do you mean you choose MS2, because this is a completely different thing and won't work with your ECU. Where are you choosing this option?

You need to choose "James Murray and Phil Ringwood's MSnS extensions" in the configurator.

you guys are great!!

OK, when I open megatune I get this "pop-up":

http://pix3.telenet.be/S5nYkAdoSbhvllW7Aai.../megasquirt.jpg

on this one I first took MS 2 Extra 1.0.2, but I now have created a new project (V8 project) with below details:

http://pix2.telenet.be/S5greM4ICS8EeISNdAS...onfiguartor.jpg

is this correct?

You now have an email ...................... I have zipped two files because one is a batch file and your email may have built in security.............

The email contains the downloader batch file and the S19 firmware file that needs to be loaded (flashed) into the ECU ................. this S19 also has the correct parameters for the coolant and air temp sensors.............

The third file is the MSQ file to run a 3.9..................

Follow the instructions in the email ................ I also copied the email to jon (Fridgefreezer) ...............

Ian

Hi Ian,

can I give you a call? working on it at the moment and when I unzipped the file and want to open it i get the message:

The zipfile has not been extracted correctly - please ensure you

'use folder names' or create sub directories when extracting.

This batch file cannot run without:

src\CHOICE.COM

src\DOWNLOAD.EXE

msns-extra.s19

Aborting

Press any key to continue . . .

If anyone can help me with this, I would be very happy (I feel so stupid...)

thx

H.

@Ian: you have mail :D

so do you ................... ;)

I think you may have it working now....................... to load the msq into the ecu, first run megatune and then loafd the MSQ file (file - load). Megatune will then ask you if you want it sent to the ecu ........click yes.

That MSQ is for a narrow band O2 sensor ................ I assume that is what you are using...............

If you have a wide band then I can send you another MSQ..........

Ian

Hi Hendrik,

All I would say is to hold on and listen and use the expert advice here (eclude me :lol:) on MS.

The fact you haven't had it burst into life may be something quite simple but is making you think its complex. Maybe as with all things Diagnostic best to start and work through some basics.

For example can you post up

The version of the MS ECU system you are using

EDIS 8 or not

Trigger wheel, how mounted and where is the "Gap" in relation to the VR Sensor

What Version of software have you got in the MS and is the ECU "Talking" to the Laptop ?

What sensors your using (CLS MAT)

Which coil packs and how wired (I have one wrong on my MS Start up and it was horrendous :(

What fuel pump your using

How have you done the wiring ? - new loom as with me or modified existing one in which case just run through what went to where

Have you powered the MS from a live wire and not from a wire live when only cranking ?

VR sensor, can be wired the wrong way around

The above would then give those who know a fighting chance of sorting

Keep smiling it will run :)

Nige

e-mail from Hendrik:

been busy the whole afternoon, got megatune working properly, the engine is running but still very bad. it runs to rich. I think indeed because of the S19 .

We have tried so many things, we thought it was maybe the fuel pump (which is a bosch high pressure pump) which give to much pressure, but apparently it's not the cause...

So now my question to you guys is if you maybe have time next weekend to help us? We would like to come over to you so you can have a look at what we did to see if it is correct, etc.

Which raises a few points:

1) It's running rich, you can reduce the fuelling (REQ_FUEL) or change the fuel map, that's the whole point of a tunable ECU.

2) It's not the .s19, that is the program not the settings, the .s19 is fine and contains the correct sensor readings for your engine. Stop thinking about it.

3) Why assume it's the fuel pump? See 1)! If you keep thinking like that you're not going to get very far - basically it starts & runs so you can now look at the screen (or post a datalog file here) so we can tell you what you need to do.

You are now at the point where all you have to do is a bit of tuning, you need to stop thinking that other things are at fault just because the settings are not perfect.

Hendrik,

OK ……………….So, I think you now have it starting but the engine runs very rich ………

If you have managed to load the MSQ (megatune engine parameter file) that I sent you, then yes ………… it will certainly run a bit rich until its at working temperature.

Time to go one step backwards ………….. which S19 file did you load into the ECU ?

If you load the S19 that I sent to you, then it has the correct offset settings for the coolant sensor. If you loaded the default S19 that came with the software package, then the coolant sensor will read incorrect and have an adverse effect on the engine fuelling.

This can be corrected by using a program called ‘easytherm’

There is really no need to bring it over on a trailer as I am sure we can sort this out……………

Once you are at the stage of being able to connect the ECU with megatune, then the rest will be down to tuning …………….. this can only be done by driving the vehicle or on a rolling road…………….

Ignore the fuel pump for the moment. As long as the pump is producing at least 38psi then any excess pressure will be taken care of via the fuel rail pressure regulator.

I am using a Ford pump from a sierra 4x4 ………. these are 60psi ………..

Can you tell me the following ……….

What S19 did you load ?

Can you now connect to the ECU with megatune (use communications – settings, to test) ?

What MAT (manifold air temp) sensor are you using ?

Where exactly is your O2 sensor located (should be at the Y pipe)

Ian