Megasquirt help needed...

Hendrik

For example can you post up

The version of the MS ECU system you are using: V3 PCB running MegaSquirt'n'Spark-Extra firmware

EDIS 8 or not: yep

Trigger wheel, how mounted and where is the "Gap" in relation to the VR Sensor: Trigger-wheel.com wheel, will take a pic of it asap

What Version of software have you got in the MS and is the ECU "Talking" to the Laptop ? MSNS_Extra - James Murray etc. connection to laptop OK now...!

What sensors your using (CLS MAT): I'll have to check...

Which coil packs and how wired (I have one wrong on my MS Start up and it was horrendous :(: Coilpacks are OEM Motorcraft with Magnecor 85mm leads with High temp connectors

What fuel pump your using: Fuel pump is Bosch High pressure (will post the partnr asap)

How have you done the wiring ? - new loom as with me or modified existing one in which case just run through what went to where: The wiring is indeed a completely new loom made for the car.

Have you powered the MS from a live wire and not from a wire live when only cranking ?: I'll have to check it out...

VR sensor, can be wired the wrong way around: we'll try to switch them around!

The above would then give those who know a fighting chance of sorting

I have tried to datalog, which gave me an excel file, if you guys want it I can sent it via email (as I'm unable to upload an xls file.)

thx

Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

If you send me (you have my e-mail)

Your FULL MSQ File

You XLS Datalogged file

I will run them and see what it sort of says, post up and e-mail back changes if they look hopefull BUT :

was talking to Ian today (BBC) he agreed a good idea would be :

1 Connect you PC to MS

2 Start Megatune

3 Switch on Ignition but do not start

4 Do a 'screen dump' and post up what the gauges look like

Basicaly if you have a sensor with the wrong sensor settings in the ECU then the ECU will be doing all sorts of wierid things - so post up a screen dump and we can see both MAF and CTS sensors reading, if you can't screen dump advise what the sensors on the Megatune are saying, the key ones are the Manifold Air Temp and the Coolant temp Senosrs,

If you can ping the 2 files tonight I can run later

Nige

Hi Hendrik,

Ok think we have something here :

post-22-1196715935_thumb.jpg

I have run it into MLV

It shows me that there are issues with and some things look ok :

From the top - RPM - yellow 0 - 2132 - seems to be working :)

MAP 38-99 Blue OKish too :)

CLT Coolant sensor - -40 degrees and never moved any higher - NOPE !! will run like its freezing :(

Throttle position 8-95 blue - seems OK :)

Spark 0-25 degrees - seems OKish :)

MAT Manifold air temp sensor - -40 degrees and never moved any higher - again freezing ! :(

O2 - er well what do you expect :lol:

Basically the 2 sensors are wrongly calibrated, Ian BBC S19 file loaded will correct, I'll have a more detailed look but these are 2 HUGE probs, no wonder it runs rich.

I'll step aside now for a MS Grown up to shoot me down :lol:

?

Nige

So because CLT and MAT are not OK it runs rich? why?

If I sort these out, it should run better...

Will the msq solve all the probs? or something else I can do?

Thx!

In simple terms colder = more fuel, your engine is at -40 !!!! so it will be reading horribly wrong,

similarly the Manifold Air temp is also at -40 so the fuelling will be "Siberia Mode and then some" setting :)

You need to be able to advise Fridge and BBC of the type and model of the 2x sensors,

these then need to be calibrated, .............as an indication coolant should be around 50 cold 60/70/ warming up 80/90 running - so -40 is a way off :lol:

Similarly MAT is normally at the mo 30/50 again not -40 :(

So..................

Which sensors have you used ??

Is the CTS the Range Rover one ?...

if so then the S19 file doesn't seem to have set the settings into the MS,

What is the MAT sensor ??

This then I am sure they can sort as its on the edge on my knowledge,

but again the sensor needs to either be changed for one with known settings or reclaibrated maybe with easytherm,

or again maybe the S19 just hasn't uploaded to MS ECU...

I think your nearly there tho :)

HTH

I'm sure one will be along shortly

Nige

Could the -40C (lowest possible) reading on the inlet air and coolant sensors indicate an open circuit / sensors not connected or earthed properly?

Could the 0deg max reading in MLV be picked up when MS boots?

Just suspicious as the they are both exactly -40 and 0. Do you have the sensors connected properly and earthed?

Edit: Even with mismatched sensors you shouldn't be getting as low as -40C.

Agree with Tom - that's not a settings fault, that's a dead short on the sensor input or a disconnected sensor (although I think the input "floats up" to max. if there's nothing connected).

Now we are getting somewhere!

The reason it runs rich is that the ECU thinks the engine is at -40C and the air temperature is -40C, basically it thinks you are starting the car in a freezer. So, when the ECU calculates the amount of fuel to put in, the warmup enrichment will be massive (like choke on a carburettor) and the calculation for the air density (cooler = more dense) will also be way off and result in too much fuel.

Looking at the graph, it is sitting at 190% warmup enrichment and 145% air-temp correction (zero correction would be 100%) so you have more than twice as much fuel going in as you should.

If you look at the raw data for the sensors (ADC count) the range is from 0 to 255 (as the ECU records it), usually no matter how hot or cold a sensor is it will never truly hit 0 or 255, if it does it's a good indication there's a wiring problem.

First we must fix the sensors …………………..

Whilst I tend to with Jon, Tom & Nidge ……………… I am still of the opinion that you should make sure the correct parameters for the sensors are in the S19 file firmware before you start looking for wiring faults that may, or may not be there………..

I cannot tell from the s19 file you sent if those sensors are correct …………… can you use that downloader to burn the S19 file that I sent to you to the ECU ?

The log file is helpful ……………… B)

From that I can tell that most things look Ok ……….. but you must remember that the O2 sensor is not active until 70C ………… and its gets this reading from the coolant sensor……..

If you cannot burn the S19 file then you must correct your own file with Easytherm…

Go here ………..http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mtabcon.htm

Look in the files section and download / install the program………(EasyTherm)

Once you have installed the program, I / Jon will post the values you need to use for the Rover coolant sensor……………….what is the part number of the air temperature sensor ?

Once the values are entered then easytherm generates a new S19 file and allows you to burn it into the ECU………..

:)

Ian

OK so you have the default temperature sensors - so you don't need to run EasyTherm and you can use the standard MegaSquirt-n-Spark-Extra .s19 rather than the "corrected for Rover" one that Ian has sent you.

Your next step is to check the wiring to the sensors.

OK so you have the default temperature sensors - so you don't need to run EasyTherm and you can use the standard MegaSquirt-n-Spark-Extra .s19 rather than the "corrected for Rover" one that Ian has sent you.

Your next step is to check the wiring to the sensors.

Sensors are in! Will test them tomorrow!

What do you want me to check on the wiring fridge?

Thx

H.

Hendrik: A good check to do is on powering up the Megasquirt (Ignition on) with Megatune running on a laptop and serial cable connected, and before attempting to start the engine, check the readings for 'Coolant Temp' and 'Manifold Air Temp', both should be reading near enough the current outside temperature.

Any 'far out' values indicate the MS needs to be calibrated for a sensor (using Easytherm) or a wiring problem.

Connected the new sensors today a MUCH better result! Although we still have some misfires (have to start reading on how to solve them).

Did a bit of testdriving today and now have a logfile of 12 minutes so for those wo are interested.... :D

BTW: a small movie about the first test:

rgds

H.