Power Steering Pump Problems

Hi all,

I changed my power steering pump in December last year when the original one failed, I used a britpart replacement. That failed within 4 months of fitting and was replaced under warranty without any questions. I fitted the replacement at the end of March, and over the past week it has begun to make the same noise as it usually does prior to it failing. This one has lasted for 8 months or so, but only because the vehicle has been used for towing boats over the summer rather than off roading during the winter.

I am running some fairly large tyres, 33x1250 AT's on the road & 34x1050 Simex off road, do others running similar sized tyres have the same problem? has anyone fitted a larger pump from another vehicle?

Thanks,

Matt

Moving the steering from lock to lock or holding the steering on one lock for a long time would certainly stress the pump. I assume that towing your boat may also include reversing down a launch ramp which might involve that sort of thing.......pump shouldn't wear while you are just driving; it is only really 'working' when you are steering.

Below is a link to a topic in the Discovery section about replacement of steering pumps, with picture of overhaul/repair, in case that is of interest.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=20028

I think I'd go back to Britpart again and start looking for a refund. I'm not sure if Adwest make the pumps; probably worth asking as they are the OEM for LR PAS boxes.

HTH

LR PAS has always been known to be a weak point and as already stated, incorrect use of the steering will drastically reduce the life of the pump. This is brought home by the following statement which is taken straight from the owners handbook:- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES MUST THE STEERING WHEEL BE HELD ON FULL LOCK FOR MORE THAN THIRTY SECONDS IN ONE MINUTE, OTHERWISE THE STEERING ASSEMBLY MAY BE DAMAGED.

If you are not observing this or carry out a lot of stationary turning of the wheel then that will account for the very short life you are experiencing from the replacement pumps. If this is not the case then I would recomened buying an OE pump as I don't think there is a huge price difference and while pump failure is not unknown, it seems odd you are suffering so much of it.

Thanks very much for the input guys, I always make sure I never hold it on full lock for any length of time, I have seen the warning before (not for over 30seconds in one minute) so always make sure I don't do that, I also try to ensure the vehicle is moving slightly before turning the wheel (mainly to save tyre wear but also less strain on steering components)

Knowing that my tyres are fairly large and obviously take more force to move them, I'm always very careful when it comes to steering sympathy.

I'm usually pretty good at reversing boats down slipways, I sell boats and have to deliver them regularly so I've had quite a bit of practice!

The link seems really useful for rebuilding the current one I have, but I wouldn't want to effectively waste the time doing that if I'm going to have another failure in a few more months. Has anyone fitted a large pump from another vehicle or is this really a waste of time because and OEM one should last a lot longer?

Are all the OEM PAS pumps the same? do they differ between 90/defender/disco/RR etc? Are any better than others?

Thanks again!

Matt

I see no mention in this topic as to what engine this Defender has. (I presume it is a Defender because a) this is the Defender forum and b ) there is a Defender in the Avatar.

Let me now see if I can use ESP (not a LR acronym) to find out what engine is fitted (and therefore what sort of ps pump). Here goes, thinky thinky think.... Ooh my eyes have crossed :wacko:

(with apologies to Spike Milligan et al)

Hi Western,

Thanks for the info, will definitely look into the Holborn Eaton pumps. Do you think that a good quality (I.e. Holborn Eaton) pump should last, even using big tyres on and off road? How long would you expect one to last? (Don't worry I won't hold you to it!!)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the "input" The engine is a Defender 200TDi, not sure what PAS Pump was fitted originally, but that one failed so I replaced it with the Britpart offering. The first of which failed and I am now on my second..which is beginning to whine,prior to failing!!

Thanks,

Matt

you need either LR part number NTC9070 from engine number 11L22455A or if a earlier 200Tdi engine NTC8287, or a OEM eqivalent. but having noted that, mine has the NTC9070 pump fitted, my 200Tdi has had 3 pump in 12 years, on the 2 dead ones the front bearings failed. otherwise they last very well.

Hi western,

Thanks for the info, useful part numbers!

The first pump i bought to replace the original had front bearing failure, and the second is whining in exactly the same way, whilst I don't like to assume it does kinda sound like the same problem all over again :(

Front bearing failure is usually down to an over-tight belt, my experiance with alternator failures and repairs has shown me that on many occasions.

Anway, i'll get an OEM version on order asap, unless anyone has any other suggestions worth considering?

Thanks again for your help, very useful as always!

Matt